Serious help needed

I have brushed once in a while. I don't see anything that looks like a slimy scum. I did have some of that a while ago that I got rid of. So what is the proper procedure for brushing? Should all sides be brushed, and the the floor ?:p

During a SLAM, you are supposed to brush your entire pool including the floor daily. Like I mentioned, algae forms a biofilm, brushing removes the biofilm so the FC can kill it. If you don't brush it, the FC can not get to it and kill it. Algae is everywhere, so you have to brush everywhere in order to kill all of it.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

During a SLAM, you are supposed to brush your entire pool including the floor daily. Like I mentioned, algae forms a biofilm, brushing removes the biofilm so the FC can kill it. If you don't brush it, the FC can not get to it and kill it. Algae is everywhere, so you have to brush everywhere in order to kill all of it.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thank you. Is there a specific procedure I can read about for brushing technique?

When I SLAM, I tend to brush the sides first then I start in the shallow end and brush towards the main drain.

Just image the pool is one large tooth and you need to brush each and every spot. Some of us use a brush called a wall whale it helps save your back when brushing the walls, but I find it a pain when transitioning between two different surfaces. The wall whale isn't required, but my back, shoulders and arms appreciate it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VU92KE/ref=asc_df_B004VU92KE5104598/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B004VU92KE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126215582&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18074127617155956022&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007529&hvtargid=pla-313095512060

As for replacing valves, I think another poster said there may be an O ring that can be replaced without taking valve out. It will be on the stem under the handle. I would check this out 1st. It would make it easy if this is the case. I do not know that valve.

I always start with the walls, usually around the skimmer basket and return while my arms are the freshest, then wet my brush, start above the waterline, then slowly enough to keep pressure against the wall, go down the wall, into the water, and then depending on the brush, either all the way to the bottom or just shy of it or so. Then I simply pull the brush back up, however is easiest, not against the wall or anything, and repeat one brush width around the pool until you've done that 60 times, assuming a 2ft wide brush and that will be all your walls. Depending on how long your brush pole is, you can either brush the floor long ways or short ways, again doing a 2 foot wide path all the way across of half if that's all you can reach.

Some people (especially those with whale wall brushes) can do the walls horizontally instead of vertically, as though their brush is running around on the walls of the pool.

Another option on the floor is to pretend you're mowing the yard, and brush a width in a rectangle around the floor at the base of the walls, then when you get back to where you started, move one brush width inwards toward the center of the pool and circle the pool again. Then one brush width inwards again and walk around the pool brushing the floor that far in as you go again.

Lastly, I'll say this about brushing - it doesn't have to all be done in one shot. You can brush one wall then take a break. Some of the floor then take a break. Don't fall in. Don't have anything in your shirt pocket while you brush or it will fall in the pool. Don't talk on a cell phone you have to hold to your ear or in your hand - it will fall in. Brushing is less science than patience and determination. It doesn't really matter what pattern or from what angle you use, just that you keep contact with the wall (no need to try to scratch the plaster off, you're just applying enough pressure to keep enough contact to stay touching it and lightly scratching the thinnest top layer.) If you have a speaker that can play you a little music, radio, audio book, or tv in the background, that can make it a little more relaxing.

Shallow skimmer t-connections leaking seen with a water test. I also noticed a very small amount of water around one seal. You would only see this water if you were closely examing same. Bubbles in strainer pump stopped once water was placed on both sides of the t connection. Can they be sealed without removing using pool putty or some other material ?:cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checkin in on how the water itself is looking, Richard. Are the stains resolving at all? Clarity?

I have been trying to get my Barracuda G3 up and running.....having problems with it starting. Also, I have been manually vacuuming 1-2X per day once the sediment is settled. The good news is that there is less and less each time. Basically it's dirt/mini crab apples that settles in small drifts throughout the pool. Now it's a 20 minute vacuum job. If I could get my Barracuda going it will likely get it all in a matter of a morning.

I'm also trying to figure out my air leak on the suction side. I have located a bad t-connection from my shallow skimmer. I tried some silicone and epoxy with no luck. I will try and peel off what I applied and try regular primer and pvc glue, and then flex seal.

I will not do an overnight test until I am fairly convinced that my vacuuming is completed and that all visible contaminants are removed. I will also continue brushing, but it looks like nothing is around anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checkin in on how the water itself is looking, Richard. Are the stains resolving at all? Clarity?

Actually the water was clear enough that I could see the specific color and volume of mini crab apples that were deposited in the deep end in the one crevice where everything gets lodged (meeting of the side sloped wall and deep end).

I can't remember my water ever being this clear ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.