Serious help needed

Once you've gently mixed in the chlorine manually, you don't need to take the risk of using recirculate. Having it off will actually improve clarity for a vac.

The pool guy should have access to a distributor for a filter. Most pool distributors only sell to the pool guys, not direct to consumer. There's a good chance he can source it for you.

What model is the current multi-port valve? Is it a side mount model? The quad DE uses a side mount multiport valve. If your current multi-port is a top mount it won't work.

I think its side mount. Ill take a picture and post it.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you've gently mixed in the chlorine manually, you don't need to take the risk of using recirculate. Having it off will actually improve clarity for a vac.

The pool guy should have access to a distributor for a filter. Most pool distributors only sell to the pool guys, not direct to consumer. There's a good chance he can source it for you.

Thanks for the info. Amazon sells the filter. I'm not sure that I am ready for a full vacuum, at least in the deep end. Although clarity is improved, it is not quite there yet. Had things progressed as they were going, I could see getting there within 7days.

I will start making calls once we get past 8 am cst.

Multi port valve
542739541c267481d4b57d5eb6098488.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
May not be a 'stock' item for them...

It really comes down to what your preference is. From all I've read, I would choose a sand filter for the ability to backwash and to be able to add DE if I need a little more polish. I currently have a cartridge filter, with 4 filters in it, and I hate the hours spent cleaning them, even with the hairnets on the skimmer. But I have no actual experience with sand, so take my opinion for what it is.

There are no wrong answers to filter type. No matter what type you decide, sand, de, cartridge, cartridge/de combo, they all work well. Each has a downside and an upside.

DE filters to the smallest particle, but you have to buy DE, backwash to clean, recharge after each backwash. Once a season, the filter needs to be taken part and cleaned. Grids inside doesn't last forever and need to be replaced occasionally. They clear swamps faster, but in the beginning, you may have to backwash every 15 minutes and you will need to babysit the filter at first. Some jurisdictions do not like DE and require for it be disposed in a certain way.

Cartridge filters are the next smallest particle. You have to hose off the cartridges which can be a pain (cold and wet) at the beginning/end of the season when the outside temps are low. Cartridges don't last forever and need to be replaced occasionally.

Sand filters are pretty simple, nothing to replace, but they take longer to clear a swamp. They are the most economical long term because sand doesn't go bad. Like DE filters, you have to backwash to clean them.

I have a DE filter and I love it. I pay a pool company to clean mine when they close my pool for the season.

Once your pool is clean, you won't necessary notice a difference in any of the filters as they all are great about keeping a clean pool clean. It really boils down to maintenance and cost.

I am going with a standard sand filter that should be a duplicate replacement from what I have. Despite calling over a half dozen vendors who are on the Pentair list of Quad dealers, no one answered their phones. Multiple calls and multiple no answers. I then spoke with my pool guy and another local fellow who are not big on DE or DE systems. In fact the latter, said he was having big problems with clearing a pool with a DE quad. Go figure. He said he wil have to turn down my business if I insist on a DE quad. Another dealer on their list was also less than enthusiastic about the Quad.

My pool guy, who answers the phone, and is ez to talk to is not big on DE, he said stick with sand *. So, in the end, communication, accurate advice, and availability wins out. I am also mindful of the fact that one of our experts on this board stated that a very dirty pool will require extra cleaning with a DE system.

*SW believes that his approach was the correct one....clear before vacuuming.

Dang it, I was hoping it was just a spider gasket,

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPERATE OR REPAIR split tank, it is UNDER PRESSURE.

While you're getting someone in to repace filter, add a jug of bleach each day and gently swirl top layers of water to mix it but try not to disturb the silt.

I will be interested to see what your clean pressure is on a new filter because 6 psi seemed abnormally low to me.

SW, tremendous progress has been made with your guidance. Much of the deep end can be visualized...one can see drift of debris, no different from what was and has been seen in the shallow end.

I have ordered a new sand filter to be installed Wednesday. I have added 1 gallon of 12.5 % last night, and again today, lightly stirring. I need to do everything possible so that ground is not lost. Do you have any other recommendations ? Thank you:cool:

Great work! You found a great solution.
Thoughts/suggestions:
-Skim the surface of debris as needed to minimize new organics in the pool
-Have an extra couple bottles of bleach for Wednesday
-Stay hydrated during the extended time outdoors Wednesday
-Read the manual for whatever filter you ordered ahead of time
-Are you using current sand? If not...this threads can jump-start your research on what brand sand you want and don't want:
1. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/103421-My-findings-on-how-not-all-sand-is-created-equal

+1 - Yak covered any SW suggestions ;) Mind meld!

If he's coming we'd, ask him to bring the external vac anyway. I think with still water you'll be able to see well enough by then actually...and I think sand in this case is a good choice given the well situation and the fact that the pool guy s both accessible for support and was headed the right direction on his initial advice ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.