Serious help needed

Richard had reported a range of 6 to 17 actually.
I'd been suspicious of the 6.

The only way DE would have caused a problem with the sand filter is if you added too much or repeated additions without first backwashing out the prior addition. Excessive use can clog things up but normally only when the prior dose isn't backwashed or mor than a 1 psi pressure increase is exceeded.

Yes, I added many times without backwashing. I thought backwashing was too be done only when the pressure rose to certain levels.

Please re-read this page:http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter.

In short:
Turn off, turn clockwise to backwash, turn on, let run 2 minutes or until clear, off, turn clockwise to rinse, on, run 30 seconds or until clear, off, turn clockwise to backwash, on, run 30s or until clear, off, turn clockwise to rinse, on, run 30s or until clear, off, turn clockwise to filter, on, open air relief valve to release any air, close air relief valve, look down at filter basket and make sure no air, or only trace of air bubbles, check air relief valve one more time and if no air only water, close air relief valve, check PSI gauge and if black needle is stable, record that as CLEAN PSI. Without kicking up any dust, scoop 1/4 cup of DE into a bucket of water (DE first or water first, whichever makes less dust for you), mix a little, then slowly pour into the skimmer basket, then wait 2-5 minutes and come back to check PSI gauge again. The PSI should have increased at least a little, but might not be noticeable yet on larger filters. Your goal is to repeat this 1/4 cup mixed bucket process, waiting 2-5 minutes between each addition, until your PSI gauge reads 1 PSI higher than CLEAN PSI. Record the number of 1/4 cup additions it took to raise your PSI by 1 from CLEAN PSI. Do not add any more DE until after the next time you backwash fully as described above. I repeat, DO NOT add any more DE until after your next backwash. Only increase the PSI by 1 above CLEAN PSI - ONE TIME - until after your next backwash.

When do you backwash? When the PSI gauge reads CLEAN PSI multiplied by 1.25.

Example:
After full backwash, let's say PSI is 15
You add 1/4 cup of DE (and wait 2-5 mins between) a total of 8 times before your PSI reads 16, then you know it takes 2 cups of DE mixed with water after each backwash (can be done all at once next time)
You will not add any more DE or backwash until PSI gauge reads 15 times 1.25 = 18.75 PSI (DIRTY PSI)

Did that make sense?

Yes understood. The filter blowing may actually have been a blessing in disguise, as the new filter seems to be clearing the water quicker. Things are clearing. A few more days and then a vacuum. My pool guy was here and he recommended another few days before vacuuming. But the washer is clearing. Pictures to come.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes understood. The filter blowing may actually have been a blessing in disguise, as the new filter seems to be clearing the water quicker. Things are clearing. A few more days and then a vacuum. My pool guy was here and he recommended another few days before vacuuming. But the washer is clearing. Pictures to come.

Yes, 30 years of service is reasonable retirement era ;) Wait...I might resemble that remark....Hi ho.

I'd like to know a bit more about what pool guy thinks is wrong with skimmer #2...is he gonna snake it or bring back a drain king or have you do same?

Yes, 30 years of service is reasonable retirement era ;) Wait...I might resemble that remark....Hi ho.

I'd like to know a bit more about what pool guy thinks is wrong with skimmer #2...is he gonna snake it or bring back a drain king or have you do same?

He fooled with it a bit and could not find an obstruction. He thinks the valve could be bad, but believes he got it going good enough. He did find a few small cracks in my deep end skimmer that he patched. Overall he seemed satisfied with the draw pressure of the skimmers. He did open up the main drain, believing that it should now be utilized.

Visualization has improved a great deal. He believes that a few more days of filtration is necessary before vacuuming. At this juncture the pool is aprox. 65 % blue wth some green in the mix. I will have pictures tomorrow. I think the new filter is helping. ;)

Today's photos
4d9604e3f3799312e31a73c54e88cb13.jpg
7919cda2b7a30143f60a2259ba5ee142.jpg
b4672eeb296bd46c22dc20e492d7980f.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.