Serious concerns with quality of concrete apron

BlueWRXPride

Jun 18, 2020
Syracuse, NY
We had our 3' stampcrete apron poured this past friday afternoon, and we have some serious concerns with the quality of the pour. As you can see from the pictures, there are a few pinhole voids in the concrete, and there are some places where the concrete doesn't seem to be tight up against the plastic coping. Most places it is fine, but for the places in the pictures, I'm very concerned about water getting into there and causing cracking issues. I don't think this guy knew what he was doing when it comes to pouring pool aprons, and I'm not even impressed with the quality of the concrete itself. But that decision is in the past so I'm trying to determine the best path forward. He still has to come back tomorrow to remove the forms and seal the concrete, and I haven't paid the last installment for the job. I'm sure we need to seal up those voids somehow, either with some concrete mix or with some concrete caulk? Is there another option? Looking for some advice, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_184305.jpg
    IMG_20200906_184305.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20200906_184308.jpg
    IMG_20200906_184308.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200906_184313.jpg
    IMG_20200906_184313.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20200906_184318.jpg
    IMG_20200906_184318.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20200906_184326.jpg
    IMG_20200906_184326.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200906_184345.jpg
    IMG_20200906_184345.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Wow
Reactions: Apsuhead
Quickrete to just fill the tiny voids? Or a wide swath to skim over the overall section? If it's the former I'm concerned about it holding up over the winter. If it's the latter I'm concerned about the look matching the rest of the stamcrete.

in Syracuse i think you are right to be concerned about any skim coat or patch with the winters you have - wet and cold is not a good mix. I assume patching is the best choice if it can match. How much money are you still holding back for this job?

I'm not holding back as much as I wish I were given where we are, about $900.

I texted him some pictures and his response was:

The voids will get filled in with sealer it's common sometimes for the stamp to pull it just happens. You can't get a broom like finish because your pressing not pulling that is why the sealer is necessary.

I'm not sure if that's BS or not. I'd think the sealer is would just fill voids up, and visually it would still look more or less the same, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i think you want to know how cavernous those voids are - i suspect that a his response is a mix of truth and BS - if that was standard would he not have given you the heads up? I can't imagine all stamped concrete jobs result in voids like that. I would try to get more info though - hopefully some people with more expertise chime in here, or maybe see if you can find a concrete focused resource online or in person to double check with.

What stamped finish is that suppose to be?
We had our stamped concrete sealed and it was very slippery! Contractor had to come back and add some gritty material to another coat of sealer.

Last edited:
That concrete looks like it dried too fast and crew was not able to finish it. Maybe the truck was standing still for a while or got hit by traffic? I would ask for a redo, not your money back since now its more expensive to break and replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.