Thanks. Here are photos of the steps and treadmill. I built the pool of spider ties and did a monolithic pour about a year ago. We do not have gunite or shotcrete in this area. It’s a bit more time consuming to build the forms for a single pour, but worth it IMO. There are two video cameras in thru-wall, 4” stainless steel, 16” long nipples with a sight glass on the pool inside. These were placed in the forms before the pour. Cameras can be removed, adjusted or replaced from the crawl space below the deck level. Therapy clients like to see their gait on TV while using the treadmill or doing exercises in the water. Sorry if this is TMI.

Attachments

• E3C4B22A-0E7C-475E-9EBD-7DB644EF39CB.jpeg
    E3C4B22A-0E7C-475E-9EBD-7DB644EF39CB.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 8A4C9074-290F-4014-B4FC-D1EFDC5304AA.jpeg
    8A4C9074-290F-4014-B4FC-D1EFDC5304AA.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 124
Bw,

I understand general physical therapy, but not sure why the pool?? What type of patients do you get? What is the advantage or necessity of the pool..

What are the cameras for? Do people use the pool on their own, or it there a therapist in the pool at the same time?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, When a person has had surgery, particularly orthopedic surgery, they need help during rehabilitation so they use and strengthen their muscles correctly. If they have had a total hip or total knee replacement, it’s important not to develop improper gait. If you’re ever seen a person whose feet don’t stay straight when they walk, or they limp, it’s likely they didn’t get physical therapy following surgery. The cameras let the person see how they move in real time. The therapist tells them what they are doing right and wrong and they can see it and correct it. Water applies buoyancy so they can start walking much earlier than otherwise. We have a client right now who cannot walk without crutches but walks very well in the water. It’s a life-changing thing. We use an ADA lift to put her in and take her out. The therapists can put resistance devices on their arms and legs to strengthen specific muscle groups, etc. She has a rack loaded with all sorts of things. I am not a therapist myself, but my partner Anette is an excellent one. It is mandatory, in our opinion, for the therapist to be in the pool with the client at all times. If anyone has a pool and is recovering from an injury, they can use the pool to great advantage. Just get qualified aquatic PT once a week and do the exercises every day in the water. It’s also great for chronic pain problems like lower back pain, shoulder pain, and just plain muscle weakness. Pools aren’t just for swimming or sitting in a spa. We opened in June and she, and our other therapist, Adam, are booked.

Reactions: Kallen05

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice! I’m a pediatric physical therapist for the past 20 years now. I haven’t been in a pool with a client in over 18 yrs though. Soooo humid. Never worked in a pool with a treadmill though. That’s an awesome setup.

Will say that having the pool was the best thing to Tim when he had his knees replaced. It really did help his gait and over all movement. You can't even tell he had any work done as he walks straight as an arrow!

WOW! that is cool. I love the shadow of of the Orcas in the tiles. One doesn't just do this first time. You must have worked with Mosaics before? The artist in me loves it, the marine biologist in me appreciates it! And for a therapeutic pool, it really creates a nice setting! Back in the day when I was getting all my certifications to run recreational waterfronts I did a lot of water rehab with people and seniors that wanted lower impact workouts. What a nice facility you have created.
I salute you!
:salut: :salut: :salut:

Last edited:
Reactions: DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.