Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
Backstory, I switched out my old Hayward Super Pump 2 hp for a Pentair Intelliflo 011018 3 hp pump. Works great, and I'm very happy with it.

My son has a pool with a similar Hayward Tristar 2 hp pump, but his pool is about 1/2 the size (about 10k), no spa. It does have a Paramont infloor system, but there is a 6 port manifold with only 10 heads in the pool. In fact with the current pump, in order to prevent too much back pressure, he keeps about 1/3-1/4 of the water bypassing the cleaning system.

If there is one area of pools I'm no expert on, it's pumps. That said, it seems to me that his pump is way oversized to its application. I was thinking of replacing it with a Pentair Superflo VS 1.5 hp. My thought was that the 1.5 hp pump should be plenty for that pool.

I happened to be in a local pool store (I know, I know, but it's where I buy acid) and asked what they would charge to install one. I figured (wrongly) that the power company rebate, (that's only avail through local pool companies), might cover install costs. Anyway, they asked if there were an infloor system, then proceeded to tell me it needed an Intelliflo. The Superflo wasn't a high head pump, and should never be used in a pool with infloor cleaning system.

So, I defer to the pump experts, what VS pump would you recommend for a 10k pool with Paramont infloor system (only 10 heads), no spa, no solar, no heater?

The easiest install would be the Tristar Vs. Has a total HP of 1.85, There are two models the 3202VSP and the VS 900, they are the same except the 900 has a viton seal and comes with a three year warranty. The 900 also comes with a $100.00 rebate if professionally installed

The cost of either of those is on par with the 011018 Intelliflo. I think I prefer a Pentair pump over paying more money for a Hayward. So, anyone else want to chime in?

Anyone have any opinion on the suitability of the Pentair Superflo 1.5 hp VS for the pool described above?

chief,

I am far from a pump expert, but I believe that the IntelliFlo is the Gold Standard of pumps.. Just because it is 3 HP would not keep me from installing it almost anywhere...

I have two of them installed at rent houses with 1.5 " plumbing and they run perfectly...

They really should call them "Variable HP" pumps instead of Variable Speed pumps... because that is what they really are.. You just run them at the HP you need for the task.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I love my Intelliflo but, I thought since his pool is only 10k with no spa, no solar, no heater, I might be able to save $100-200 and go with a the smaller Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 hp VS pump.

I wouldn't let the 3HP number influence your decision. As far as quality, the 011018 Pentair is the one you want. The beauty of variable is that you can set it at a much lower RPM to fit your pool. I have the 011018 pump and never max it out; I believe the max is 3,450 RPM and I have mine ranging between 1,700 and 2,600 throughout the day.

The question is do I really need a high head pump for a pool that's only 10k and has a total of about ten cleaning heads on the infloor system?

Well darn, I still don't know if the Superflo 1.5 VS pump would be ok to use. I can save about$150 if it will work. Where are all the pump experts when I need one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the filter and manifold pressure with the current pump (without bypass)?

What is the recommended manifold pressure from the manufacture?

First, I am no pump expert, but I am an expert at changing out 3 Hayward Ecostar VS pumps in 2.5 yrs...so I would definitely go Pentair over Hayward, period.

Next, you are worried about saving $150 in buying the superflo over the intelliflo. For an extra $150, you get twice the power and can also run the more powerful one at a lower RPM and save on wear and tear, while you would have to max out the 1.5HP for it to barely work efficiently.

Finally, let's look at this over a 3 yr period. $150/ 365days/yr x 3 yrs = $150/1095days = 13 cents per day for 3 HP vs 1.5 HP...Don't go to dinner 2-3 times and you have your new pump of 3 HP for the same price of as the 1.5HP.

It's always easier to slow down a horse than make a mule run faster - your choice...

My son just bought this house (right across the street from us) from the previous owner, who built the pool. It appears they believed that bigger is better throughout the build. A TriStar 2hp single speed pump, infloor system (it's a small pool so only 10 cleaning heads), SWG is Hayward T-15 (40k rated), the filter Hayward cartridge C4025 (425 Sq ft). All for a small pool that's a shade under 10k volume. I was looking at helping him out by changing his pump for a VS, as a gift. But, if it needs to be the Intelliflo, it will cost closer to a thousand dollars, than the six hundred or so I had budgeted. So it may have to wait.

What is the filter and manifold pressure with the current pump (without bypass)?

What is the recommended manifold pressure from the manufacture?

If I send all flow to the cleaning system the gauge in it reads 22 lb and on the filter 28. But, I wouldn't vouch for the accuracy of either gauge. The way it has been set with about 1/3 of the water bypassing the infloor system (it cleans well this way), both guages are reading closer to 10-12 lbs.
The filter is a Hayward C4025 cartridge filter. Its way oversized at 425 square feet. I don't see a recommend filter pressure, the max is 50 psi.

I can get a Pentair Superflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed 342001 for about $600. The Intelliflo 011018 will cost $849 plus $35 for couplings. So, nearly $300 price difference

On Curve-A, the SuperFlo produces about 63 GPM on full speed. The TriStar Full Rated 2 HP pump produces around 71 GPM or about 13% more flow rate. Given the filter pressure, the flow rate through the cleaner would have to have been reduced by about 33% (what you said). So it would seem as though it could easily run the in-floors.

But to be absolutely sure:

Is the existing TriStar up rated or full rated?

What is the size of the suction lines and how many are there from pool to pump?

How high is the filter gauge above water level?

How high is the manifold gauge above water level?

On Curve-A, the SuperFlo produces about 63 GPM on full speed. The TriStar Full Rated 2 HP pump produces around 71 GPM or about 13% more flow rate. Given the filter pressure, the flow rate through the cleaner would have to have been reduced by about 33% (what you said). So it would seem as though it could easily run the in-floors.

But to be absolutely sure:

Is the existing TriStar up rated or full rated?
I think it's full rated, but I'm not sure.

What is the size of the suction lines and how many are there from pool to pump?
One 2 inch suction line to the skimmer which is connected to the main drain with a diverter.

How high is the filter gauge above water level?
4.5 feet
How high is the manifold gauge above water level?
About 10 inches

Answers in red

That would work although I don't know about the reliability of that motor.

BTW, I still think the SuperFlo VS should work fine. With full flow, the old motor had a filter pressure of 28 PSI and the SuperFlo would have a pressure of around 24 PSI which is higher than the old motor with the water bypassed.

The motor is made by Emerson, and one local pool service I spoke to has been using that particular motor for some time, with good reliability. They give their customers one year warranty. I'm thinking seriously about this option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.