Seeking SWG data points in South FL summers

FIexec

Jan 22, 2019
SW Florida
Years ago I bought a house with a pool in Oklahoma City. I had no idea how to maintain it, but luckily I found TFP. Just before I sold the place, I said to myself if I ever get another pool, it will have a SWG. Those SWG folks on TFP seem to have an easier time than us bleach dosers. Well, I recently bought a house with a pool in the Ft Myers, FL area, but it didn't have a SWG installed. I'm trying to figure out how big a unit to buy...

I have seen the recommendation to buy a SWG at least 2x your pool size. I've also seen the FC targets of 4-6 ppm. Here's where I struggle. I only have a single speed pump. Upgrading it isn't in the plan for this year, and I'd like to avoid maybe buying a 40k unit and finding out I have to run the pump at/near 24/7 and the unit at 100% in the middle of summer. Without having been through a summer here myself (my pool log only goes back one month!), I'm lacking data to help my decision. I know it's using about 1 ppm FC now, but I know that doesn't translate to summer time for using the SWG calculator.

SO... any other TFP people in South FL, with a caged pool, with very little or no other shading, who could share their SWG run times and output%? Assuming your signature has your pool volume and SWG model, I can figure out the FC #s. Thanks!

F,

My guess is that you will use about 3 to 4 ppm of FC per day in the summer... With a screen room maybe a little less.

A 40K SWCG in a 12.25K gallon pool will produce an FC increase of 14 ppm at 100% per 24 hours. So that means to generate 3.5ppm of FC you will have to run your pump for 6 hours and have your cell set at 100% output.. I doubt it will be more than this, but it certainly could be less..

Either way, that does not sound too expensive to me with the electrical rates in Florida..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!

I've seen the 3 to 4 ppm of FC/day in some of the other threads. Most of those people seemed to be located further north, so I wasn't sure if I should expect more at a more southernly latitude.

Regards,
Matt

FIexec,

My pool in the Daytona area is similar to yours. It was using an average of 40 Oz. of 10% liquid chlorine per day in August and that equates to a little less than 1/4 pound Chlorine gas per day. I installed a Circupool RJ-30 and expect it will need to run at about 45% over 8 hours in August to keep up. I have some shade from the house early day but otherwise the pool is exposed to the sun until just before sunset. I also have a pool cage like yours. The RJ-30 is rated at 1.5# per day, I wouldn't suggest getting a SWG system any smaller than that. You can't just go by the manufacturer's rating for pool capacity, some suggest higher output than others for the same pool size. They say here that relative to SWG that bigger is always better and I've come to believe that. You also tend to get more bang for your buck with the larger sizes. I have a single speed pump and found that 8 hours per day isn't too costly at FPL rates.

FIexec,

My pool in the Daytona area is similar to yours. It was using an average of 40 Oz. of 10% liquid chlorine per day in August and that equates to a little less than 1/4 pound Chlorine gas per day. I installed a Circupool RJ-30 and expect it will need to run at about 45% over 8 hours in August to keep up. I have some shade from the house early day but otherwise the pool is exposed to the sun until just before sunset. I also have a pool cage like yours. The RJ-30 is rated at 1.5# per day, I wouldn't suggest getting a SWG system any smaller than that. You can't just go by the manufacturer's rating for pool capacity, some suggest higher output than others for the same pool size. They say here that relative to SWG that bigger is always better and I've come to believe that. You also tend to get more bang for your buck with the larger sizes. I have a single speed pump and found that 8 hours per day isn't too costly at FPL rates.
Thanks Fuldo. Yes, it seems like a very similar setup. I get a little shade from the house before SUNSET, but full exposure from sunrise until late afternoon. I'm looking at the RJ-30 as well now. I may spend the extra dollars for the PLUS version too for the 7 year warranty. What is your CYA level?

My CYA is presently 50. I keep it in the 40-60 range year-round. That is lower than what TFP suggests but I struggled through some excessive CYA issues with this pool before I was made aware of the importance of this chemical and I'm reluctant to go much higher. That plus I've found that my chlorine consumption is actually very reasonable and even lower than many similar pools with higher CYA, likely caused by a combination of factors maybe the main one the fact that the screening greatly minimizes sun exposure. The plus version may be worth the extra $100 or so but it is a prorated warranty and with my duty cycle I figured the electronics may give out before the actual cell. I'm not certain of the electronics warranty, maybe I should look!

Reactions: FIexec
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.