Seamless sand filter tank

GrayCatbird

May 17, 2021
Delaware
Surface
Vinyl
I have an 18-inch Dream Line sand filter tank (model S190TSCPES) that is maybe three years old. It has developed a split along the vertical seam. Water sprays out of the split when the filter is running. Is there a seamless tank that's available where the design doesn't have an opportunity to split on a seam? Thanks.

Also, if you have used some sort of epoxy or other material to patch the seam of a tank, I'd be happy to try that route. Some pool guys came out, charged me a lot of money to smear some gook on there that didn't do any good. I have used something called Pipe Leak Fix in the past to stop leaks at joins in the pool plumbing, but last season when I used it, I used too much or something, because it looked like an elephant sneezed on it. It looked disgusting. Eventually, I had to replace the whole affair with new PVC piping instead of a flexible hose. I'm wondering, though, if that Pipe Leak Fix might do the trick on the tank. I can put up with a glob of unsightly elephant snot on the tank, if it gets me through another season. But I think the tank is leaking under the collar now, too. Probably a good idea to just replace the whole thing.

Thanks.

To my knowledge filters are no longer made from stainless steel.

Your filter needs to be replaced. It is a pressure vessel that has been compromised. It can explode with great force and hurt people or things. Bypass the filter or turn off the pump until you have a replacement.

Reactions: borjis and JamesW
I think that the filter is made by Hayward.

File a warranty claim.

If you want a good sand filter.

If the warranty doesn't work out. Consider going to a 420 square foot cartridge filter.

Get your money back. They should not have tried to fix the tank.

I think that you're reading seamless as stainless?
I don't think I can trust the guys I hired to do any more work, and I don't think it would be worth the effort of going after them for the money.

I wasn't asking after a stainless steel tank. Interesting idea, but if they aren't available, then that's a no-go. I am just looking for a replacement tank that doesn't come with the same design flaw as the one I have now, where it splits on the seam after a couple of years. I noticed some leakage under the "collar" at the top of the tank, too. Clearly, I need to replace all of that. If I could get something roughly the same physical dimensions as what I have now, I could make use of the existing PVC plumbing, as well as not having to expand the pad the tank is on.

Any advice on a good tank would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ooh, that looks like a completely different configuration than I have now. I'd have to do a lot of plumbing work, which I can do, but I was hoping for something similar (but not as lousy) as what I have now. Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ooh, that looks like a completely different configuration than I have now. I'd have to do a lot of plumbing work, which I can do, but I was hoping for something similar (but not as lousy) as what I have now. Thanks for your help.
I think the confusion may be that the filter you listed doesn’t appear to have a seam. If there is a seam, the seam may just be a cracked housing. Maybe post a picture of it so that can be cleared up.

I really appreciate all of the advice here, folks. Here are a couple of shots of the filter, including one showing the seam where it’s cracked, plus one showing model info. Thanks.

Attachments

• 82BDFF22-2043-4842-BEAD-76CDA4133CD3.jpeg
    82BDFF22-2043-4842-BEAD-76CDA4133CD3.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 700973B7-A8AC-4EC9-A12B-3835F5D12226.jpeg
    700973B7-A8AC-4EC9-A12B-3835F5D12226.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 11
If you want a sand filter that will last decades, and not crack, then the Triton II is the one to get.

It fiberglass reinforced and super strong.

The other ones are thin unreinforced thermoplastic and they crack all the time.

Maybe consider going to a large capacity cartridge filter.

I recommend a 420 square foot cartridge filter.

If you want a sand filter that will last decades, and not crack, then the Triton II is the one to get.

It fiberglass reinforced and super strong.

The other ones are thin unreinforced thermoplastic and they crack all the time.

Maybe consider going to a large capacity cartridge filter.

I recommend a 420 square foot cartridge filter.

I can attest to the triton2, the original one lasted 20 years and we just replaced it with another one last year. It’s even thicker than the original.

Reactions: JamesW
You should turn the filter pump off because the multiport can separate from the filter and cause injury to nearby people.

Cracked filters need to be taken out of service immediately.

Thanks, James. These models don’t seem to have one of these “shifters” on it, for changing the water flow. How is that done with the Triton 2?

Attachments

• 29DC0BDA-A1E6-448B-AA49-C71498F17C2F.jpeg
    29DC0BDA-A1E6-448B-AA49-C71498F17C2F.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks, James. These models don’t seem to have one of these “shifters” on it, for changing the water flow. How is that done with the Triton 2?
The Triton II has a side mount multiport.

The cartridge filter does not use a multiport, but you can install a Jandy NeverLube 3-way valve between the pump and filter to be able to go to waste if necessary.

That looks like a pretty standard Hayward multi-position valve assembly. You may be able to replace it with a Hayward Pro Series tank. Having said that, the tanks are pretty much the same price as the complete filters. But even if you buy the complete filter, you can just remove the the valve it comes with and use the tank/lateral assembly with your existing valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.