Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
So yesterday while cleaning out the pump basket, I always reach in and clean the hair from the impeller as well. Well, I noticed something was loose in there and took this picture. Apparently this screw backed it self out several threads. Trying to screw it back it I realized its reverse thread ?
Got the screw screwed in and once it started to tighten down the entire impeller began to turn. I dont feel I got the screw snug enough to prevent it from backing out again. I tried to place a second screwdriver in there to "jam" the impeller but there is not enough room in the pump basket for one hand and two screw drivers.

Any ideas on how to tighten it? Why would it even back out in the first place?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.49.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.49.52 PM.png
    799.2 KB · Views: 18
Normally that screw is cinched-up really good before slipping it back into the wet end. Not sure why it would back-out unless it simply wasn't secured enough before. @JamesW, is ther anyway to get that thing tight again without removing completely?

My pump motor ( Hayward Tristar) has I believe is a 7/16 th hex head at the end of the motor you can use an Allen wrench to keep the shaft from turning.
Genius !! I saw mine today on my irrigation pump and it was a bolt like shaft that a crescent wrench or socket would have fit. Sorry Frank I didn’t put 2 and 2 together but I was literally trying to spin mine today from that same spot. You’ll be able to stop it just the same. You will probably have to remove the plastic cover on the end of the motor held on with a screw.

Turn off the breaker and remove the rear motor cover or the small rubber plug in the middle to get to the motor shaft. Use appropriate tool to hold it while you tighten the impeller and screw. I would remove it from the housing to do this, it's just plain easier. Post a pic of the pump and we will tell you how.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.