ScreenLogic Issues

Pentair says the unit is bad. I am skeptical as it was working 2 weeks ago and then last week briefly when I set up the old configuration up with my old modem. I was able update the adapter at that time. Now it won't work. Before I run out and drop $500 to replace a 2 year old part, is there a way to truly tell if the unit is bad? Their response was "You hit all the resets? That's all we can do."

I’m wondering about your network setup. You should have only 1 cable from port 1 of the modem to the WAN port of the router. All downstream devices should be connected to the LAN ports on the router, not the modem.

Use a laptop to connect directly to it via ethernet cable. The laptop will have to be set to the same subnet (192.168.1.x , where x is anything other than 1). Open a command prompt and try to ping the PA at 192.168.1.1

Tried the above step.

Reply from 192.168.1.2 Destination host unreachable x 4

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Unless you'd set a static IP address on the PA to 192.168.1.1, that test would never work. According to the ScreenLogic manual,
The ScreenLogic2 Interface protocol adapter is set to Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) by default. This means that the existing router will automatically assign an IP address to the Protocol Adapter. A Static IP address can be set by using the “Configure IP Info” button

Unless you manually set a static IP on the PA, connecting it directly to a laptop will not provide the PA with a DHCP address, as your laptop is not a DHCP server. So reconnect everything back the way it was, reboot the PA, and use your web browser to log on to your router's user interface. There ought to be a page showing connected devices. See whether you can find the PA in that list. If you don't, make sure your router's DHCP server is enabled.

Tried the above step.

Reply from 192.168.1.2 Destination host unreachable x 4

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

From Screen Logic wont connect it shows the default IP after reset is 192.168.1.2 so try that. What was your original router subnet and what is the new one?

I assume the LED lights on the network port are lit? As a last resort you could try Wireshark and see if any DHCP requests are being made by the adapter.

From Screen Logic wont connect it shows the default IP after reset is 192.168.1.2
Yes, you can find all kinds of misinformation on the Interwebs.

Looking at your link, just below the post that says 192.168.1.2, the same poster changed his mind and said "Scratch that, the IP is 192.168.0.45". Which was probably also wrong, maybe what his DHCP server gave to the PA as a DHCP address. Plus, those posts are 5 years old and undoubtedly refer to the original ScreenLogic, not ScreenLogic2.

Fair enough squirrel, but since he's had no luck with the recommended approach I thought I'd offer an alternative. It's not hard to do and there's no harm in trying as a last ditch effort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s so hard to diagnose this kind of problem from a distance. Maybe you should set up a service call for someone to come to your home and get eyeballs on it.

Are there lights on the protocol adapter "interface, the one with the ethernet connection on it? Mine has a solid green light, and an intermittant flashing amber light.

Are there lights on the wireless link? Mine has the left most light (pwr) solid green, the right most light ( Tx) intermittant amber blinking and the center light Rx less frequently flashing green.

I did. Thanks, it did update. But program won't start on PC,

what version of windoze?

On Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, right click on the ScreenLogicConnect icon and select "run as administrator".

You might need to enable a windows firewall rule. post back what version of Windoze you are running as there may be subtle differences.

Are you running any other antivirus, malware or firewall software? If so check the logs to see if they report errors being blocked.

Pentair says the unit is bad. I am skeptical as it was working 2 weeks ago and then last week briefly when I set up the old configuration up with my old modem. I was able update the adapter at that time. Now it won't work. Before I run out and drop $500 to replace a 2 year old part, is there a way to truly tell if the unit is bad? Their response was "You hit all the resets? That's all we can do."

I posted earlier in the thread, maybe it was overlooked. I'll try again, then move on.

DISCLOSURE:
I don't mean to come off sounding like a bully here, or talk down to anyone, and forgive me, it is not my intention
I just hate to see people spending so much time on trying to revive these devices when they-are-just-dead.

Are you ready to stop spending time on this?

First, If it worked at some point, then it quit, for seemingly no reason, that tells you something. Even when you upgraded routers and modems, and plugged all your other existing devices back in, and they all worked except for the Pentair PA?
Second, Your signature suggests that you have three high dollar Pentair devices, that qualifies you for 3 years warranty. Providing that you or your installer registered them at the time of install. Even if you purchased the ScreenLogic separately, and (as you posted) it is less than, or about 2 years old, you still have a pretty good case for warranty.

If you had purchased everything at or about 2 years ago, stop, and call for factory warranty service. It should be their headache.

If not, Call them. Expect to spend some time on the phone, be patient.

Remember, ask for upper tier support if you begin to get nowhere. That will weed out the techs that tell you "That's all we can do". That's not true. That's just their programming!

Dont accept that.
Don't get irate, (this is most important!)

be calm,
but be firm.

Tell them you dont accept such a short life span for the price that is paid for this product. This is supposed to be a convenience item, a time saver. Not one that consumes your valuable time. This current day and age (and price) dictates that this adapter be fully "Plug and Play" with no configuration hassle. Every single PA that i install new literally "Jumps" on to its local network once plugged in. Replacement of "dead" PA's included! No kidding! My area is silicon valley, CA so you can imagine the high end systems that i am "forced" to deal with here. And i'm not talking about their networks. (ha ha) I never play with these things, and quite frankly, Pentair doesn't want me to either. Heck, they don't want to. That's why they ALWAYS send new ones, and they work. But they do say, No bridges OR switches! footnote: i have seen them work on these. They want a direct connection to the router.

I also make sure that with the PA device that the software and/or the app is installed prior to (of course).

So i ask you, do you think yours is still a configuration problem that you can work through? Or rather, want to?

Last edited:
From what you wrote above (post #32), it sounds like you have access from your iPhone - but can't get Screen Logic Connect to run on your computer. If that is the case,
  • uninstall Screen Logic Connect on your computer
  • reboot computer
  • download a fresh copy of Screen Logic Connect
  • install (as administrator) this fresh copy - do not install to Program Files or Program Files (x86), install to it's own folder in the C drive
  • after it's installed, right click the shortcut icon and select "Run as administrator"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.