Screenlogic I changed out new routers but locally it will not connect

Appreciate the replies - I know a little more than average about networking but I'm NOT a CCNA for sure. I changed my network to class A primarily to get an entirely different range of IP addresses when I moved so as to see easily anything left from my old network which was the more typical 192.168... setup. the 255.255.255.0 was how it defaulted and from what I understand (and is mentioned above) there is no downside to doing this other than limiting it on available IP and 250+ is more than I need at this point.

Hate to get too far off topic, but if I change it in my router to the correct 255.0.0.0 as you note, is there anything that will break??? (the enemy of good is better).

I'm not aware that you can set a static IP for the SL adapter - you can set within your router a reserved IP for the MAC address, but I don't think the adapter has an interface in which you can set a static IP. Am I missing something?

Yes, the SL IP can be fixed using the ScreeLogic Connect software. Within the startup dialog, there is a "Configure IP Info..." button.

I've never bothered with the subnet mask, I've always used 255.255.255.0. To be honest, I don't even know what that's for.

My new mantra: "the enemy of good is better." Love that. I bump up against that all the time! Less condescending than K.I.S.S. I've been using "Sometimes good enough is good enough."

Last edited:
I've never bothered with the subnet mask, I've always used 255.255.255.0. To be honest, I don't even know what that's for.
The subnet mask tells your devices which of the 4 octets are part of the IPv4 network number and which are part of the device address. So 255.255.255.0 says the first 3 octets are the network number and the 4th is the device address. Similarly, 255.0.0.0 says the first octet is the network number and the last 3 octets comprise device addresses. Strictly speaking, you don't have to use 255, that's the mask for all 8 bits of the octet and is most commonly used.

Nothing will explode if you change the subnet mask, but you will have to change it in every device for consistency.

Reactions: Dirk
Appreciate the replies - I know a little more than average about networking but I'm NOT a CCNA for sure. I changed my network to class A primarily to get an entirely different range of IP addresses when I moved so as to see easily anything left from my old network which was the more typical 192.168... setup. the 255.255.255.0 was how it defaulted and from what I understand (and is mentioned above) there is no downside to doing this other than limiting it on available IP and 250+ is more than I need at this point.

You said you only changed the wiring to the switch. Did you change the DHCP IP address range from 192.xx to 10.xx when the Screenlogic problems occurred?

Hate to get too far off topic, but if I change it in my router to the correct 255.0.0.0 as you note, is there anything that will break??? (the enemy of good is better).

Nothing will break. You will get a larger address IP address pool. But your DHCP IP adress range will still be limited by the upper and lower IP address range you specify.

Nothing will explode if you change the subnet mask, but you will have to change it in every device for consistency.

Devices getting the subnet mask from DHCP will self correct and get the new subnet mask. Any device with a static IP will need to have the new subnet mask set in it.

You said you only changed the wiring to the switch. Did you change the DHCP IP address range from 192.xx to 10.xx when the Screenlogic problems occurred?

Nothing will break. You will get a larger address IP address pool. But your DHCP IP adress range will still be limited by the upper and lower IP address range you specify.

No the change in DHCP was several months ago. Screenlogic was stable on the 10.0.0.1 network for months. All I did was relocate wiring and add a new switch, no router changes when this happened.

Ok IP addressing I can speak to.
You can use any subnet mask and since 10.0 is part of RFC 1918 you can do anything you want. To make it less confusing I use 10.10.1.x/24

I am assuming it talks back to the internet so check the FW settings on your new router if it's still not working

This post helped me alot : You are spot on Sir :
You have to set your new router to use the same DHCP range as the previous router and then it will work : So if you previous router was 192.168.1.1 to 254 then manually set it to that, if your previous router was set to 192.168.4.1 to 192.168.4.254 then set it to that and it will work. Pentair Protocol Adapter remembers the old IP and its somehow hard coded in the bloody unit. Once you get connected you can then reset it back to the new routers DHCP range by clicking on "Configure IP Info" on the Screen Logic PC app. Also, this guy has detailed out another process to do this : Pentair ScreenLogic Protocol Adapter Issues

I must say for paying over $1000 to update the unit 2 years back this is pretty poor programming from Pentair Techs. I installed the new Eero 6 Plus Amazon Router and it comes out of the box w/ DHCP set to 192.168.4.x and not 192.168.50.x as in my old Asus Router. It took me a good 3-4 hrs. to figure this one out. ITs working now but what a waste of time !

Hope this helps more people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.