Destrehan, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I had a pool built last year, finally have a good grasp on my chemicals and what they do etc. My question is what is the best way to get rid of light patches of scaling due to high Ph? some areas on the plaster feel like sandpaper, after the pool was built and started up the company told me to add a half gallon of muratic acid every Saturday for a month and not to worry about any testing. Well after some answered questions on TFP I found out that that was completely wrong. I tested my Ph before and after adding the half gallon of acid and it was through the roof before adding and still high the day after adding. Once I started testing every day for a while and adding acid daily as needed I got that in check but never got around to figuring out the best way to remove the scaling. I've read some people suggesting using a pumice stone? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your CSI is consistently positive. To get rid of scale you need to run your CSI between -0.3 to -0.6 for a while. Start by keeping your pH around 7.4 and see what your CSI is. It will take more frequent acid doses to keep your pH there.

Reactions: cjbyrd
Your CSI is consistently positive. To get rid of scale you need to run your CSI between -0.3 to -0.6 for a while. Start by keeping your pH around 7.4 and see what your CSI is. It will take more frequent acid doses to keep your pH there.
Thanks for the info. My chemicals have been in balance after I noticed the scaling so for about 10 months now. You wouldn't reccomend rubbing the walls with a pumice stone? Just do what you said with the Ph and csi index

Pumice stones disintegrate and leave piles of dust to vacuum. I use one on tile, but that's it. Too much mess.
Try wet-n-dry sandpaper on a rubber sanding block to at least dull the sharpness. It also sheds, but not as badly in my opinion. 600 grit comes with too thin of backing paper. 400, too. Maybe try 320 grit. And even if you don't remove much, you'll at least scratch the calcium crystals some, which creates more surface, so it will dissolve back into solution easier. Dissolving still happens at a glacial pace. Don't expect too much from keeping the CSI negative.

Reactions: cjbyrd
My chemicals have been in balance after I noticed the scaling so for about 10 months now.

I don't know what "in balance" means to you. Your PoolMath logs show consistent positive CSI for the last two months that youw ere logging your test results.

You wouldn't reccomend rubbing the walls with a pumice stone? Just do what you said with the Ph and csi index

Pumice stone is usually used on scale around the waterline. You can give it a try. All depends how widespread the scale is across your plaster.

A CSI of close to -0.6 will erode the scale over a period of months the same way it was formed with a high CSI.

Reactions: cjbyrd and tim5055
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.