Saving Frogs & Skimming Water

Oct 9, 2018
Cary, NC
I'm about to place an order for 3 frog ramps for my in-ground pool. They always seem thrilled to be rescued, but I hate if I ever miss them.

I'm also thinking about a couple of skimmer add-ons and want to know if there are pros or cons to either.

Vortex Skimmer basket: I'd like to have more movement towards the skimmer, but don't want to put frog lives at risk.
Skimmer basket Socks: tiny leaves tend to get enmeshed into the skimmer basket, and I wonder if socks will help keep these cleaner.

Open to any other advice for improving the pool experience.

Thank you,
John

I'm about to place an order for 3 frog ramps for my in-ground pool. They always seem thrilled to be rescued, but I hate if I ever miss them.

I'm also thinking about a couple of skimmer add-ons and want to know if there are pros or cons to either.

Vortex Skimmer basket: I'd like to have more movement towards the skimmer, but don't want to put frog lives at risk.
Skimmer basket Socks: tiny leaves tend to get enmeshed into the skimmer basket, and I wonder if socks will help keep these cleaner.

Open to any other advice for improving the pool experience.

Thank you,
John
Instead of the skimmer socks, try hairnets. They are much cheaper (about 7 cents a piece on Amazon) and work just as well.

these are the ones i bought. i got the link off of the forum here. i think alot of people use these:

Reactions: SpaceDog
I will second (or third) the hairnets. I started using them over the winter and they are fantastic. Also recommend the frog ramps. We put in two of them last week, and since then nothing has shown up in our skimmer. Before the ramps we'd get 1 or 2 critters a week.

these are the ones i bought. i got the link off of the forum here. i think alot of people use these:
Yep, same ones I use. As far as I know, I have a pretty standard skimmer and it fits just fine.

Attachments

• Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 21
Wow, I didn't even know they made such a ramp that sits on the side of the pool.
I used this skimmer cover replacement along with a hairnet in my skimmer and no more frogs were trapped.
That looks like a pretty good solution, too. Our skimmer has a pretty high rate of suction, so not sure if they could escape the "vortex of death." I do have a couple of the Frog Logs showing up today so will see how they work before going this route. I am ready to remedy this though...two more frogs and a mouse were in there this AM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.