Mbehr1983

Mar 29, 2021
Harvest Al
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can I get my pool clear with 3yr old sand? I have a green pool. My ex has it green and I’m watching it for the week and want to have it clear for when she gets back. I will begin slamming tonight

Can I get my pool clear with 3yr old sand? I have a green pool. My ex has it green and I’m watching it for the week and want to have it clear for when she gets back. I will begin slamming tonight
As mentioned it’s already a bagillion years old- it may be in need of a deep cleaning if potions 🧪 have been used in the pool. That’s also something that should be done occasionally anyway as part of maintenance.
Here’s the how to:

Reactions: Mbehr1983
The filter will not clear a green pool, especially a sand filter. Green=live algae. First kill it then it can be filtered out. May need a bit of help with a handful of DE or cellulose fiber.

As @1poolman1 mentioned the filter is only part of the recipe- the main ingredient is the fc & doing the
SLAM Process.
Do all the things to eradicate the algae 👇
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

71215996315__ADE2A01F-FEB3-475D-A405-68B5A1E30B58.jpeg71215996315__ADE2A01F-FEB3-475D-A405-68B5A1E30B58.jpegDoing Slam process and this is where I’m at. I was scrubbing daily and dropped the brush in the bottom of the pool!!!! I’m planning to get in and do a good scrubbing today. I tested this am and FC was in slam level. Do I just keep fighting the good fight? This is where we got it to previously and it wouldn’t clear

Reactions: Mdragger88
View attachment 517740View attachment 517740Doing Slam process and this is where I’m at. I was scrubbing daily and dropped the brush in the bottom of the pool!!!! I’m planning to get in and do a good scrubbing today. I tested this am and FC was in slam level. Do I just keep fighting the good fight? This is where we got it to previously and it wouldn’t clear
Now it is a combination of keeping the chemicals at proper levels and allowing the filter to remove all that dead algae. Just keep it running.
Again, a handful of DE or cellulose fiber will go a long way toward clearing it faster. May take several filter cleanings and the addition of the DE to get the job done.

Yes, keep the SLAM going. And if you are going to use DE, keep an eye on your pressure gauge. It will likely shoot up quickly and your sand filter will need to be backwashed.

Depending on the size and quality of your sand filter it can take quite a while to clear up. I had a 13" XtremePowerUS Sand filter (for 6K gal) that had terrible laterals (none actually just a cone - see picture) and could not get the pool clean. After 3 weeks of SLAM I was finally able to see the bottom. I upgraded to a Pentair cartridge filter and the pool was crystal clear the next day.

Attachments

• laterals_1.jpg
    laterals_1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on the size and quality of your sand filter it can take quite a while to clear up. I had a 13" XtremePowerUS Sand filter (for 6K gal) that had terrible laterals (none actually just a cone - see picture) and could not get the pool clean. After 3 weeks of SLAM I was finally able to see the bottom. I upgraded to a Pentair cartridge filter and the pool was crystal clear the next day.
Yeah I think I have a pretty good one it’s only been since Sunday

Yup 👍🏻 just keep fighting the good fight!
Maintain slam level as often as you can. The more you do this the faster it will go.
Brush, brush, brush, run your bug too!
If you have steps/ladder get them out asap & clean them inside & out. They are known algae hotels. If they have sand inside get that out & find another sealed way to weigh them down.

Here’s the how to on the de
👇

Yup 👍🏻 just keep fighting the good fight!
Maintain slam level as often as you can. The more you do this the faster it will go.
Brush, brush, brush, run your bug too!
If you have steps/ladder get them out asap & clean them inside & out. They are known algae hotels. If they have sand inside get that out & find another sealed way to weigh them down.

Here’s the how to on the de
👇
Ok thanks! I have been doing chemical in the morning and evening. I don’t add chemical when the sun is out correct?

Ok thanks! I have been doing chemical in the morning and evening. I don’t add chemical when the sun is out correct?
Nope, you really want to raise to SLAM level as often as you can, for example, every two hours. If you are gone all day, do it in the morning before you leave, again when you get home, and again at bedtime.

Ok thanks! I have been doing chemical in the morning and evening.
The more frequently you MAINTAIN slam level the faster you will achieve all 3 end of slam criteria.
Every couple hours is best.
I don’t add chemical when the sun is out correct?
Incorrect- MAINTAIN slam level as often as possible.

Now it is a combination of keeping the chemicals at proper levels and allowing the filter to remove all that dead algae. Just keep it running.
Again, a handful of DE or cellulose fiber will go a long way toward clearing it faster. May take several filter cleanings and the addition of the DE to get the job done.
Do I start try to balance while it’s still cloudy or keep slamming until clear. It seems chlorine is steady but haven’t checked everything else due to high chlorine

Do I start try to balance while it’s still cloudy or keep slamming until clear. It seems chlorine is steady but haven’t checked everything else due to high chlorine
Keep with the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 end of slam criteria.
You are done when:
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

During slam only worry about testing fc & cc.
This is why you’re supposed to lower ph to around 7.2 before beginning slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.