Sand Filter body style difference

Hydro

Apr 1, 2018
Muhlenberg, PA
I had a catastrophic failure of my sand filter over the winter (we won't get into my stupidity that caused it ;-)). From what I can figure the old sand filter was a Waterway 26" sphere. I have a 34x18 oval Above Ground pool.

I'm looking to purchase a new sand filter and have noticed there are 2 body styles. One is a sphere and the other is an elongated sphere. Is one better than the other?

Also, there are packages that include a 2HP pump, and I was wondering if that would be too much power for my setup. I did seem to have issues getting my automated vacuum to stay running last year with a 1 HP pump.

As always thank you for your replies! :)
~Hydro

Last edited:
Filter-get the biggest your pad can hold and your wallet can buy. The bigger you get the less you have to mess with it!

Pump-So long as it is a 2 speed you should be fine. You don't need that big but it won't hurt anything if it is so...........

Reactions: Hydro
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.