Sand entering pool

Splaker

Jan 17, 2016
Canada
some of you are aware from my previous threads that I've had issues with algae blooms and what I though was mechanical issues with my filter and/or pump. Well I performed a SLAM and just about completed it (I think) and will do the OCLT test tonight. During the SLAM I did several vacs of the pool bottom and noticed sand in the basket. I am very certain it is sand as it is a consistent gritty sand and not just dirt from the bottom. I believe we installed the current Hayward in 2016. I replaced the multiport valve in 2021 (or may have been 2020). I know the spider gaskets apparently wear out. But I think those gaskets come with a new multiport valve so it would be more than a couple of years old.

Several of you instructed me not to replace the sand in the filter (pointless). What should my next step be to troubleshoot this?

Here is a pic of the basket:

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 9
Good morning! So it's safe to assume your problem is that you are still seeing sand get into the pool correct? There are two things you should consider:
1 - The laterals in the filter (laterals, hub assy, and where they are connected together)
2 - The MPV spider gasket/key diverter assembly

Popping the top of the MPV to inspect the gasket and diverter assy isn't as invasive as emptying out the filter to pull the laterals, so you might start there.

Reactions: Splaker
Good morning! So it's safe to assume your problem is that you are still seeing sand get into the pool correct? There are two things you should consider:
1 - The laterals in the filter (laterals, hub assy, and where they are connected together)
2 - The MPV spider gasket/key diverter assembly

Popping the top of the MPV to inspect the gasket and diverter assy isn't as invasive as emptying out the filter to pull the laterals, so you might start there.

Thanks. I cannot get to the MPV without cutting the lines BecUse the installer didn't use unions. So I'll cut them and instal a union. Is this something I'll need to address right away or can it wait a week or two as I don't have a time ti do it right now?

do those spider gaskets come with the MPV assembly? If so, then it's only two years old because the MPV was changed out in 2021. And I barely used the pool last year as we had a leak. Or, is that gasket a separate thing that wasn't changed out 2 years ago with the new MPV?

If it is the laterals all the sand needs to be removed correct?

Is this something I'll need to address right away or can it wait a week or two as I don't have a time ti do it right now?
Other than some sand getting in the pool, you can wait. Pretend you're at the beach. :)

do those spider gaskets come with the MPV assembly? If so, then it's only two years old because the MPV was changed out in 2021.
There may be some exceptions, but generally speaking most people order the spider gasket separately. In some cases, the key diverter assembly needs to be replaced, but I would be surprised if that was the case with you since your MPV was just worked on in the past year or so. Even a spider gasket going bad is a bit odd this soon. :scratch:

By any chance have you been changing setting with the pump on? Do you always turn the handle in one direction, or do you go clockwise and counter clockwise?

I have occasionally in the past while the pump is running but not recently. I turn off the unit then switch. As for the second part of your question, I am not sure. I can't recall.. does it make a difference if you're turning counter-clockwise?

It's possible I have done so this season and maybe this is residual sand from doing this? Should I only go clockwise?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.