Saltwater issues

Charlie0322

Jun 14, 2022
Massachusetts
I'm new to pool ownership and completely clueless on how to maintain our salt water pool. We have a 16x32 15,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool. I feel like all we are doing is adding chemicals when I was under the impression salt water systems were easier to maintain. Our pool was clear yesterday and today it's cloudy. We had the water tested on Saturday and added everything that they told us to add. The pool builder set a timer on our pump/filter but it only runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. daily. The salt is at 3600 which seems rather high. Is the pump not running long enough and perhaps that is why the pool is cloudy? We plan to have the water tested again. In the meantime I ordered the Taylor Technologies K-2006-SALT Test Kit.

I'm new to pool ownership and completely clueless on how to maintain our salt water pool. We have a 16x32 15,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool. I feel like all we are doing is adding chemicals when I was under the impression salt water systems were easier to maintain. Our pool was clear yesterday and today it's cloudy. We had the water tested on Saturday and added everything that they told us to add. The pool builder set a timer on our pump/filter but it only runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. daily. The salt is at 3600 which seems rather high. Is the pump not running long enough and perhaps that is why the pool is cloudy? We plan to have the water tested again. In the meantime I ordered the Taylor Technologies K-2006-SALT Test Kit.
What percentage are you running your salt water generator at? What pump do you have? What is your cya? Did u put the initial chlorine needed in via liquid chlorine to start? The swg is meant to replace the chlorine loss per day, it does not give you the initial dose.
Until you figure out ur cya I’d put a gallon of liquid chlorine in and increase ur pump to run for atleast 8 hrs at 100% to get chlorine of like 5 until you get ur test kit in. Then do overnight chlorine loss test and cya test to decide what’s next.

What percentage are you running your salt water generator at? What pump do you have? What is your cya? Did u put the initial chlorine need via liquid chlorine to start? The swg is meant to replace the chlorine loss per day, it does not give you the initial dose.
Until you figure out ur cya I’d put a gallon of liquid chlorine in and increase ur pump to run for atleast 8 hrs at 100% to get chlorine of like 5 until you get ur test kit in. Then do overnight chlorine loss test and cya test to decide what’s next.
Also u need to order the regular tfp test kit for everything not just the salt kit.

We had the water tested on Saturday and added everything that they told us to add.

We plan to have the water tested again. In the meantime I ordered the Taylor Technologies K-2006-SALT Test Kit.

These statements are the start of your issues. Ordering your own test kit is a good step in the right direction.
You ordered a good kit. K-2006-SALT has what you need. I think the previous poster thought you just got the K-1766 salt test. You got that plus the K-2006 that has FAS-DPD. So good start.

You can add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily between now and arrival of the kit to try and keep potential algae at bay.

Once we know FC, CC, PH, CYA, (and to a lesser extent TA & CH) we can help you clear it all up.
Please update your signature with your equipment, so we know what we are working with.

Reactions: Charlie0322
What percentage are you running your salt water generator at? What pump do you have? What is your cya? Did u put the initial chlorine needed in via liquid chlorine to start? The swg is meant to replace the chlorine loss per day, it does not give you the initial dose.
I've attached the pool store test results from today. I spoke to them and they told me not to worry about the low CYA levels which totally contradicts everything I've read about keeping the levels up since I have a salt water generator. They instructed me to add 1 lb of ph down because my levels were a little high and add 14 lbs of Pro Team Calcium Up because the hardness is low.

Attachments

• test results.jpg
    test results.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 30
Welcome to TFP! I second good job getting your own test kit. TFP doesn't advise water chemistry based upon pool store tests. Two things jump out at me based upon the advice they gave you. 1) Do not use powdered acid to lower pH, it contains sulfates which are not good for your SWG. 2) How can anyone giving pool advice not focus on the amount of FC (chlorine) in the water. If they had said you need to add chlorine, I would nod my head and agree. For them not to say anything about what sanitizing your pool water, is just... not to trust. Their business model is to sell you stuff not to take care of your pool.

Get you some liquid chlorine, stat.

I spoke to them and they told me not to worry about the low CYA levels which totally contradicts everything I've read about keeping the levels up since I have a salt water generator.
Since a SWCG makes just a small of amount of chlorine (on a per minute basis), the low CYA allows it to be consumed very quickly by UV, bather load, etc. You need to raise the CYA and then also raise your FC level by using liquid chlorine. While a SWCG is great to maintain a certain level of FC in your pool, it needs help to get the FC to the proper level. So adding LC will boost the overall FC in your pool quickly and the SWCG can maintain it. However you also need to raise that CYA - recommended to be 60 -70 for use with a SWCG.

Welcome to TFP! I second good job getting your own test kit. TFP doesn't advise water chemistry based upon pool store tests. Two things jump out at me based upon the advice they gave you. 1) Do not use powdered acid to lower pH, it contains sulfates which are not good for your SWG. 2) How can anyone giving pool advice not focus on the amount of FC (chlorine) in the water. If they had said you need to add chlorine, I would nod my head and agree. For them not to say anything about what sanitizing your pool water, is just... not to trust. Their business model is to sell you stuff not to take care of your pool.

Get you some liquid chlorine, stat.
Do I add the liquid chlorine directly into the pool?

I feel like all we are doing is adding chemicals when I was under the impression salt water systems were easier to maintain.
This is what we refer to as being "pool stored". The TFP method is easy and inexpensive. I maintain my 27k gallon pool all season on less than $300 in consumables (salt, CYA and muriatic acid).

Follow the advice you've been given and get that test kit ordered. Once it arrives, post a set of test results and we'll advise you from there.

And stay away from that pool store!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool builder set a timer on our pump/filter but it only runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. daily
One other thing you need to consider. I assume you have a variable speed pump. A VS pump is real efficient at low speeds, ie. very low energy consumption. So you need to consider running your pump at a low speed but fast enough to allow your SWCG to produce chlorine. For example, that could be in the 1500-2000 rpm range. so if you run your pump longer but at a lower speed you may be more efficient in energy consumption and also produce more chlorine over that period to maintain your level of desired FC. If your power cost are less in the evening time then run your pump from 8pm to 8am the next morning (for example). Many people run their VS pump 24 hrs at low speeds to consistently produce chlorine. The longer the pump runs then you can reduce the % output of the SWCG to find the right amount of chlorine production needed to replace what is lost to UV and bather load.

Since a SWCG makes just a small of amount of chlorine (on a per minute basis), the low CYA allows it to be consumed very quickly by UV, bather load, etc. You need to raise the CYA and then also raise your FC level by using liquid chlorine. While a SWCG is great to maintain a certain level of FC in your pool, it needs help to get the FC to the proper level. So adding LC will boost the overall FC in your pool quickly and the SWCG can maintain it. However you also need to raise that CYA - recommended to be 60 -70 for use with a SWCG.
Is there a specific brand of liquid chlorine I should buy?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.