Saltwater Aurora all-resin pool build thread!

Robot has been in my cart for a day while I sorted out bonding and plumbing. Just went to hit “order” and there’s a note that price has changed from $307 to $389. What??

edit: deleted that one and searched for it again. $308. Ok then!

Reactions: magiteck
Both robot and Hayward bits ordered. So we will see!

I thought about just gluing pvc to barb and replacing it all eventually, but I talked myself out of that!

I guess I could replace the whole skimmer, if nothing else does the trick.
That would be my plan when all else failed. So sorry all the fun progress came to a screaming halt. You southern folks are so nice blessing their hearts. Up north we would say that they deserved a high-five. To the face. With a folding chair.

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
That would be my plan when all else failed. So sorry all the fun progress came to a screaming halt. You southern folks are so nice blessing their hearts. Up north we would say that they deserved a high-five. To the face. With a folding chair.

Trust me, the meaning of “Bless their hearts“ is NOT nice!

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
How well do you think you could line up a new skimmer ? Were the screwholes precut, or did you make them with the screws ?

How well do you think you could line up a new skimmer ? Were the screwholes precut, or did you make them with the screws ?

They installed the skimmer - I was working from home that day and went outside as often as a could, but I didn’t see a lot of the install.

Ok. I guess its so new that it probably helps. Lining up the screw holes is always the hardest part but yours hasn't had anytime to stretch or move, so maybe it would be easier ?

Reactions: jaye31987
Ok. I guess its so new that it probably helps. Lining up the screw holes is always the hardest part but yours hasn't had anytime to stretch or move, so maybe it would be easier ?

Well, I ordered the items Mag mentioned in his post, so we’ll see what happens with those. I should have them Tuesday or Wednesday, and while I’m not going to have much time during the week, at least I will know right away if they will fit.

But it begs the question - what do other people do to hook up their pumps if they attach the hose barb? Do they all use clamps to hold their hoses on? (Hate those things)

I think alot of people use the fernco style (with clamps)

Here is @stringer77 from last season. He really went over the top ro make everything right. If he's using it. Its the way.
POOL31.jpg

Here is @stringer77 from last season. He really went over the top ro make everything right. If he's using it. Its the way.

Eeesh. Those clamps give me hives.

But that photo! It’s like... PVC with the Stars! I swear it even looks gold-plated! Amazing work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The prior owner of my house at some point did some work on our basement sump pump, and used one of these connecting it to the discharge pipe. Sadly, they must not have tightened the screws well enough. Was fine for a long time, until (you can probably see where this is going) I came home from a work trip one spring to the sump pump pumping the water straight into the air.

This thing had loosened completely off the pipe. Of course I had just re-carpeted my basement office, too. That was a not-so-fun night.

In any case - maybe I’m just paranoid now, but if you use these in a pressurized system I’d make sure it’s good and tight and periodically inspect it to make sure it’s stayed that way!

Speaking of inspecting... that reminds me, going to go take a look at my sump pump. 😳

Both robot and Hayward bits ordered. So we will see!

I thought about just gluing pvc to barb and replacing it all eventually, but I talked myself out of that!
Might be worth a call to Hayward tomorrow to see if you’re on the right track, or if there’s a different union/connector that will work in case this one doesn’t.

Support # appears to be (908) 355-7995.

Might be worth a call to Hayward tomorrow to see if you’re on the right track, or if there’s a different union/connector that will work in case this one doesn’t.

Support # appears to be (908) 355-7995.

Thank you! I was looking for the number! I also sent my mad face photo to Inyopools to see if they had a part that will work.

• Haha
This looks intriguing
Same idea, just not Hayward specific. Although that one appears a bit bigger — 2” slip with the big end like 3.6”.

I’m guessing Hayward made it a proprietary size... only question is whether they have one such size (which bodes well for the part you ordered), or if they use multiple sizes for different products.

I was going to try to see how close my Pentair union came to actually screwing on mine, but the way my skimmer is plumbed coupled with the cold here and my currently frozen pool made disassembly less than ideal. :(

I was going to try to see how close my Pentair union came to actually screwing on mine, but the way my skimmer is plumbed coupled with the cold here and my currently frozen pool made disassembly less than ideal. :(

Don‘t do that, might be opening a can of worms!

Same idea, just not Hayward specific. Although that one appears a bit bigger — 2” slip with the big end like 3.6”.

I was thinking the threaded end might fit the wider part of the bottom of the skimmer, and the 2” slip would allow me to just slide it over barb, then use a 2” to 1.5” reducer.

I was thinking the threaded end might fit the wider part of the bottom of the skimmer, and the 2” slip would allow me to just slide it over barb, then use a 2” to 1.5” reducer.
I see what you mean about the barb.

I did some testing with my union and a similar barb. You’ll easily be able to get the outer part over the barb, to see if it will screw on. But the interior piece might not fit over it.

Pics:

So I would... test to see if it screws on. And if it does but you can’t get it all over the barb, take a fine tooth hack saw and cut off the barb including the hex/nut portion flush with the bottom of the skimmer. Then you should be able to use the union.

As for the other one you linked to, the actual screw on part I think would be too big and it would just go completely over your skimmer outlet.

Reactions: Newdude
I see what you mean about the barb.

I did some testing with my union and a similar barb. You’ll easily be able to get the outer part over the barb, to see if it will screw on. But the interior piece might not fit over it.

Pics:

So I would... test to see if it screws on. And if it does but you can’t get it all over the barb, take a fine tooth hack saw and cut off the barb including the hex/nut portion flush with the bottom of the skimmer. Then you should be able to use the union.

As for the other one you linked to, the actual screw on part I think would be too big and it would just go completely over your skimmer outlet.

You and I must be sharing the same thoughts! I already have my hacksaw out! LOL

• Haha
Which liner, mine or Casey’s?

Is it just the liner that needs replacing, or the whole pool? I got SUPER lucky and caught a great sale on mine - price has gone up since I bought.

Your liner. Half is underground for 16 years. It was for direct burial. Resin bottom track, but steel wall w/ stainless panel. Several layers of protection on both sides of the wall. Not sure about conditions. Kids are grown and hardly go in. We'll see after this year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.