Saltwater Aurora all-resin pool build thread!

So I would... test to see if it screws on. And if it does but you can’t get it all over the barb, take a fine tooth hack saw and cut off the barb including the hex/nut portion flush with the bottom of the skimmer. Then you should be able to use the union.

Well, the outer part does fit. And the inner part would fit, if it wasn’t for that stupid hex nut portion! So now I’m deciding whether I want to take the saw to it or just clamp the stupid thing and hope for the best. My flex PVC hose fits over the barb, but likely not tightly enough to hold water.

I even managed to pry out some of the glue, it that’s a lost cause. You can see glue inside skimmer and outside... it covers the entire threaded portion.

Well, the outer part does fit. And the inner part would fit, if it wasn’t for that stupid hex nut portion! So now I’m deciding whether I want to take the saw to it or just clamp the stupid thing and hope for the best. My flex PVC hose fits over the barb, but likely not tightly enough to hold water.

I even managed to pry out some of the glue, it that’s a lost cause. You can see glue inside skimmer and outside... it covers the entire threaded portion.
If u go that route try to use two clamps

Glad it was the right piece, bummer it doesn't fit over the existing fitting. :confused:

I'd probably go the hacksaw route myself...and then use one of these to get it nice and smooth. but I get there's no undoing that if you get into trouble. :(

Glad it was the right piece, bummer it doesn't fit over the existing fitting. :confused:

I'd probably go the hacksaw route myself...and then use one of these to get it nice and smooth. but I get there's no undoing that if you get into trouble. :(

Hacksaw deployed, new Hayward gizmo fits nicely... but although it is the right size, Intex hose nut has different thread pattern and WILL. NOT.SCREW.ON. Should have checked that before hacksawing, but in the end, it wasn’t doing me any good the other way either.

So, back to square one, and may I just say, I hope all these manufacturers with their proprietary connections spend eternity in a very hot place.

Edit: gluing it to some flex PVC. I had some extra bits thank goodness. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Hacksaw deployed, new Hayward gizmo fits nicely... but although it is the right size, Intex hose nut has different thread pattern and WILL. NOT.SCREW.ON. Should have checked that before hacksawing, but in the end, it wasn’t doing me any good the other way either.

So, back to square one, and may I just say, I hope all these manufacturers with their proprietary connections spend eternity in a very hot place.

Edit: gluing it to some flex PVC. I had some extra bits thank goodness. Stay tuned.

Ugh. OK, so it looks like the union you got has 1 1/2 in. male threads on the end, right?

And you already have a connector that would have connected to the 1 1/2 interior threads on the hayward skimmer?

So we need to convert your new male threaded end to a female threaded end.

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find this as a single PVC fitting -- but if you can, great.

If what I've got is correct, one of these would convert the end of your new union to a glueable PVC/slip fitting:
Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2 in. PVC Schedule 40 Female S x FPT Adapter-PVC021011400HD - The Home Depot

And another of that same adapter would give you what is essentially the same threads that would originally have been on the bottom of the skimmer that they screwed the hose barb into.

Take a short piece of 1 1/2 inch PVC and use it to combine those two adapters, and you'll essentially have an adapter that converts from the male end on your new union to the female threads that you have on the bottom of the skimmer.

$5 (plus PVC glue and primer if you don't have any) and you're hopefully done ??

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
So, back to square one, and may I just say, I hope all these manufacturers with their proprietary connections spend eternity in a very hot place
Pentair had theirs so proprietary that the SWG caps didn't fit their own heat pump. Both were the same size and I was hoping to use extra caps to keep rodents out of the plumbing over the winter. But Nooooooooooooo. Good ole Duct Tape saved the day again.

Call me MacGyver. I had enough bits and pieces to Frankenstein the new adapter to some 1.5 inch flex PVC and used homemade adapter and Intex hose nut to connect skimmer to pump, did various bits and pieces to connect pump to intake, and called it a day. No valves, because as soon as I can I’m replacing all of it anyway.

So now we fill the rest of the way and see if we have any leaking. Then, we turn pump on. Which I may not even do if there is leaking while it is off. I’m in office Thursday and Friday and out of town Saturday, so it will have to wait until Sunday if I need major overhaul.

The good news is that Junior arrived this evening. Sorry, @thefloatqueen and @kimkats, he just doesn’t look like a pink lady. Plus I’ve always wanted a man to clean up after me...

Any way, between Junior and sump pump I can keep water circulating and chlorine until I sort this mess out.

Moral of story: watch every move installers make. If I could have just stopped them from gluing in that hose barb. Sigh.

NO WAY am I taking a photo of this mess, especially when I’m not even sure it will hold water! Plus, I finished up right around dark anyway! Kind of afraid to see where water level is right now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Newdude , here you go, pollen and debris tossed in for free.

I need to get some landscaping in around it, including some places to stand where i can see over the edge without being on tip toes! This thing is tall!

We’re almost to the moment of truth, when the water level hits the return and skimmer.

390F65AE-A8F6-489D-A64F-2D5BE1160490.jpeg

If you got that much sparkle from the camera flash, its gonna be bling CITY when the sun hits it. Awesome pick !!

• Love
Reactions: kellyfair
*gets frustrated with pipe*
*stands up and sneaks another peek*
Oooooooooooh. Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeety
Ok. I can do THIS !!!

Just like that, amirite ?

• Haha
Reactions: kellyfair
I should have taken a week off so I could get everything sorted out. But, it is what it is!

Back to my new hobby of obsessing over pumps and filters and SWGs, oh my!

Believe it or not, we’re a few weeks early for me to jump in... I like the water at least 88 degrees!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.