Saltwater Aurora all-resin pool build thread!

It’s just a small but very effective sump pump... I run the hose all the way out to the street so most of the water stays out of the yard.

Should add that I only use when doing a complete drain. Otherwise I just set the filter to backwash - plenty fast enough without even turning it on.

But why? My sump pump works great, and has no noticeable effect on the electric bill. It’s doing precisely what I bought it to do. Cost me less than $50 back in 2014.

Several reasons.
First why buy a pump and pay to run one when you can use gravity for free and literally do the same thing?

Second, I often use a small hose or hoses to keep from flooding my yard, not an issue in your case.

For my cover I use several 3/8" clear rubber hoses.

Its as simple as put the entire hose under the water to get the air out and then pull most back out with your thumb or hand over the end and pull it down to the ground. You'll have water coming out and it won't stop until the end in the pool sucks air.

I've mentioned it a few times on the forum because it seems most think they need a pump for their covers etc. Not trying to offend anyone.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got it here... it was cheaper than getting it from Pool Factory!
That’s why I was going to order it elsewhere! I saw them cheaper than TPF on other sites and Amazon. Thank you for the link!! I just might have to order mine from there! Have you purchased a new pump/filter yet? That’s what I need to do! I didn’t add one to my purchase from The Pool Factory.

No, I’m dithering around about what I want, but I can use my current one for now. Other than a little build up on the salt cell, it’s in good shape. I’ll be soaking cell in vinegar are soon as I buy some (I use that instead of MA on my salt cells).

My next acquisition will likely be robot, but first I’m dealing with leveling, electric, and bonding.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
No, I’m dithering around about what I want, but I can use my current one for now. Other than a little build up on the salt cell, it’s in good shape. I’ll be soaking cell in vinegar are soon as I buy some (I use that instead of MA on my salt cells).

My next acquisition will likely be robot, but first I’m dealing with leveling, electric, and bonding.
Yeah I have the 16” Intex sand filter with the .75 HP pump it came with. I definitely want something stronger but it works great! I don’t have a SWCG so that’s one less thing to worry about. Do you know which robot you want yet? I’m telling you, the Aquabot Rover Junior is amazing and the price can’t be beat.

EDIT: Oh and leveling is the worst lol!! We have a sloped backyard and it was a nightmare. Since my Intex is 18’, that’s why I’m sticking with the 18’ for my new pool — since the ground prep is already done and wouldn’t require any (or at least not very much) additional digging in my uneven backyard. I really wanted the 21’ pool but 18’ is plenty for me. I don’t have any kids and my husband doesn’t get in the pool much. I’ll have my sister or some friends over once in a while but other than that, myself and my Golden Retriever will be the only ones using it daily haha

Last edited:
Yep, I’m likely going with the Rover Jr.

I’m leveling because I’m moving pool to a different spot, closer to original spot (years ago). At that time, neighbor had a dying tree that shed all over the place, so I moved to the current spot. Now the dying tree is gone and there is no other tall vegetation and there won’t be, whereas my current location has some sort of weird pine that was barely over 6’ at first and is now at least 25’! It drops stuff in my pool now and I have to fish out the fronds or whatever they are, because they are too long for vacuum to pick up.

Whew. I’m getting too old for this. Got most of the pool down, just have bottom, pad, and tarp, plus about 5 uprights and the wall between them. I’m cutting it all in pieces and rolling it to get it all in my giant trash can. City doesn’t care how full it is, as long as they can get the forks into the side to lift it.

It’s in the 80s so when the sun comes out between showers, it is hot and steamy! Pool weather almost, except right now I don’t have a pool. Lol

Build thread!

But why? My sump pump works great, and has no noticeable effect on the electric bill. It’s doing precisely what I bought it to do. Cost me less than $50 back in 2014.
I’ve got that same pump. Works great!

Several reasons.
First why buy a pump and pay to run one when you can use gravity for free and literally do the same thing?

Second, I often use a small hose or hoses to keep from flooding my yard, not an issue in your case.

For my cover I use several 3/8" clear rubber hoses.

Its as simple as put the entire hose under the water to get the air out and then pull most back out with your thumb or hand over the end and pull it down to the ground. You'll have water coming out and it won't stop until the end in the pool sucks air.

I've mentioned it a few times on the forum because it seems most think they need a pump for their covers etc. Not trying to offend anyone.
There’s multiple reasons why one would want to use a pump:
  • $50 is a drop in the bucket, when it comes to pools.
  • You won’t notice the electricity costs of running a submersible pump like that.
  • Gravity means you’re limited to flowing downhill.
  • “As simple as” - honestly starting a syphon on something like a long garden hose is a moderate pain. Also unpleasant for any hose if the water is cold.
  • Pumps are way faster than siphons.
If one already has a pump, there’s not much advantage to doing a syphon and a lot of downsides. If one doesn’t have a pump, there’s a lot of reasons one may want to get a pump.

Ok, all uprights, the whole wall, and half the floor are in the can. Got it done before it clouded up again. No more room in can, so the other half of floor, pad and tarp will be on daughter’s To Do list this week (while I’m working so I don’t have to listen to her whine about it).

I found catastrophic rust in a couple of the uprights. Not sure this pool wouldn’t have failed big time this season! 😱

I got it here... it was cheaper than getting it from Pool Factory!
I sooo wish I would have ordered a foam cove & made them install it ! My sand cove is messed up in one spot so there’s a lovely wrinkle i have to watch/ clean now 😩 since my pool is “freshly” buried I don’t want risk draining just to fix that. I’ll just have to wait & live with it a while so the soil will be well compacted.

• Sad
Reactions: kellyfair

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.