Salt Chlorinator and Chlorine Dispenser on same system

fly5298

May 13, 2023
Phila, PA
Hello everyone! I'm a new pool owner and I must admit, I'm feeling a bit clueless about the whole process. Recently, the installer charged me for a salt chlorine generator (SCG), but I discovered that he also installed a chlorine dispenser in line, with the dispenser placed upstream of the SCG. He claims it was done as a "favor," but I'm not easily convinced. When I visited two pool supply stores yesterday to buy chemicals, both of them seemed puzzled as to why the installer would set it up this way. One even said it was completely wrong and that the dispenser could potentially damage the SCG. I'm feeling a bit uncertain and would appreciate any thoughts or advice you may have on this matter.

Additionally, the installer advised me to wait for two years before converting to a salt system, supposedly to allow the diamond bright to properly cure, French Gray if it matters. However, when I checked the diamond bright's website, it stated that only 28 days of curing time were necessary. Moreover, the installer didn't acid wash the pool during the plastering process, claiming that leaving the "cream" on would aid in better curing and longevity. I'm not sure what to make of all it. Any insights or opinions you could share would be greatly appreciated.
Unknown.jpeg

One even said it was completely wrong and that the dispenser could potentially damage the SCG.
I agree. Tabs are very acidic, so now you have potentially very acidic water entering the SWG cell. Not good at all. I would leave the tab feeder empty.

the installer advised me to wait for two years before converting to a salt system,
This I do not agree with. After about 30 days you should be fine.

See more references in our Pool Care Basics section, and welcome to TFP! :wave:

If you were going to use the puck feeder you’d want to replace the cell with a dummy to prevent damage to the cell. In your climate with the pool closed for winter once the water temp is too low to operate the cell there’s really no need to have a feeder.
As mentioned 30 days of curing before adding salt is sufficient.
Hopefully someone else will chime in soon about the plaster acid situation.
Do you know what kind of start up they followed?

Reactions: markayash
Hello everyone! I'm a new pool owner and I must admit, I'm feeling a bit clueless about the whole process. Recently, the installer charged me for a salt chlorine generator (SCG), but I discovered that he also installed a chlorine dispenser in line, with the dispenser placed upstream of the SCG. He claims it was done as a "favor," but I'm not easily convinced. When I visited two pool supply stores yesterday to buy chemicals, both of them seemed puzzled as to why the installer would set it up this way. One even said it was completely wrong and that the dispenser could potentially damage the SCG. I'm feeling a bit uncertain and would appreciate any thoughts or advice you may have on this matter.

Additionally, the installer advised me to wait for two years before converting to a salt system, supposedly to allow the diamond bright to properly cure, French Gray if it matters. However, when I checked the diamond bright's website, it stated that only 28 days of curing time were necessary. Moreover, the installer didn't acid wash the pool during the plastering process, claiming that leaving the "cream" on would aid in better curing and longevity. I'm not sure what to make of all it. Any insights or opinions you could share would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 491568
Was the tablet feeder and installation free? That’s the only way it could be considered a favor. 🤣 Cause now you have to figure out how to remove it or make sure it never gets tablets added.

Reactions: Mdragger88
but I discovered that he also installed a chlorine dispenser in line, with the dispenser placed upstream of the SCG. He claims it was done as a "favor," but I'm not easily convinced.
Your PB did you no favor in placing that chlorinator upstream of the SWCG. Do not add any pucks to it. Purchase a floater (under $20 and put pucks in it if needed for your pool) or better yet - use liquid chlorine.

Also if you are handy, there is another thread how a member removed the top of the chlorinator and capped it. Note - there. Is a screw on the side (have to look through the small hole) to remove it before unscrewing the canister. See the thread
Post in thread 'What did you do to your pool today?'
What did you do to your pool today?

Question for the experts: I'm assuming it would have been alright to have them plumbed the other way around with the SWCG upstream of the tab feeder?

No, when the pump is off acidic water will backflow into the SWG cell and damage it. Placement does not matter, they should not be placed close together.

And that CV between the chlorinator and heater will fail and leak in time and the acidic water will damage the heater also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair said it was a “good thing he did for you because the SCG will fail at some point”.
Yeah, but the Pentair rep may not have visually known the exact close proximity of the SWG to the tab feeder. Remember that if the SWG (and pool chemistry) is taken care of properly, it can provide you several years or service to make pool chlorination easy on you. Tab feeders are an antiquated method of chlorination that result in the added by-product of stabilizer which (if not kept in check) grows much too high inhibiting proper effectiveness of free chlorine.

When I installed my SWG, I removed the tab feeder altogether because I knew I would never use it. Now if you had an exceptionally large equipment pad with a couple feet or more of space between the two, it may be something to work with. But as it stands now, you'll never use the tab feeder unless the SWG cell is deemed unserviceable and you don't care what happens to it. Or in your area, if your system is running in later fall or early spring, but the water is too cold and you have a dummy cell installed.

I should also mention that when I questioned him in all of this, the PE got the pentair rep on the phone with us. Pentair said it was a “good thing he did for you because the SCG will fail at some point”. Presumably because chlorine is being pumped though it. 🤦‍♂️
A floating puck dispenser, IMO is more effective, as it is always in the pool and the pucks are eroded by water movement (wind or water circulation) as opposed to only when the pump is on for the chlorinator. I used a floater for many years when I was using liquid chlorine. Now that I have a SWCG, I occasionally use my floater to hold a couple of pucks to add to my CYA if needed. Only because I have a bucket full of pucks that I am still trying to consume over time.

But the better solution is to use liquid chlorine when the SWCG is not in place because LC does not give off any unnecessary by products such as raising your CYA or adding acid to the pool.

Was the tablet feeder and installation free? That’s the only way it could be considered a favor. 🤣 Cause now you have to figure out how to remove it or make sure it never gets tablets added.
Right! Terrible favor! With friends like that who needs enemies 🤣

I've always used a chorine puck floater in conjuction with my SWG

We had the SWG installed when the pool was built, but I've always 'sat the fence' on its value.
Mainly because of the cell costs, the cost of replenishing the stabilizer and salt each year, and the reliability issues I've had.
The high stabilizer also means that you a lot more liquid chlorine (and effort) to shock if you get an algae bloom

I use liquid chlorine while opening the pool (usually in April even though we dont swim until June.)
I then use a stabilzed chlorine floater for April May and June and typically in July, I'll switch over to the SWG and then close in October.
I kind of just evolved into this routine, and it worked for me.
I'm not sure if it makes sense or not.

Are you able to maintain the target FC range for your CYA throughout the year?
Yes, I keep the feeder full and opened, and I occasionally may add some liquid chlorine if I need to.
When the CYA climbs to around 60ppm , I turn on the SWG which has a much lower recommended FC level.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it would have been alright to have them plumbed the other way around with the SWCG upstream of the tab feeder?
Hydrogen gas can accumulate in the feeder, which might explode.

The tabs in the feeder can quickly destroy a cell if tabs are in the feeder while the pump is off.
because the SCG will fail at some point
Then you buy a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.