Salt checks and pool blankets

Switched

Dec 25, 2019
Adelaide
Hi All,
First post here - thanks for the great resource at TFP, I've learnt a lot over the last 2 weeks, with TFP and some youtube in between, APP is loaded and ready.

I'm based in Australia and bought a house that includes a salt pool roughly 8 x 5 metres (yet to move in), pool is around 30 years old tiled with a puresilk 25 SWG, and solar heating.
I've got myself some Aquachek 7 in one silver test strips, but since realized it doesn't cover checking salinity.

A couple of questions:
1) With checking salinity levels, my Aquachek's don't cover it. Is there a good reliable test strip or meter I should invest in? I know I can take to the pool shop but it appears often their checks are not that great either. Being that I am based in AU, the K-1766 kit isnt readily available. Any other kit I should opt for? I guess the SWG should record a salinity level as well but want a backup to this.
2) How often should I be checking the salinity levels?
3) The pool blanket needs to be replaced. Since the pool has solar heating on the roof, do I get a solar blanket, or just a regular non-heating blanket? Our summers are hot, and winters get down to around 2 degrees C at worst during the night.
4) Is the blanket to be used mid week if we are not swimming, or only really to be used when we close the pool down after summer?
5) I am considering a M400 maytronics robot as the current owner has someone maintain the pool and clean it so no cleaner will be provided. Is a M400 suitable for a tiled, pool, approx 8 x 5 metre? Secondly on this, the pool as a inbuilt spa section as welll (at least I think it is...), the water is connected (just) will the robot get over the tile line into the SPA area?

Thanks everyone.

Hi and WELCOME!!! What an exciting time in your life! You will LOVE having a pool to jump in to and enjoy!

Here is THE test kit for your side of the world: Kits – Clear Choice Labs Note they have a kit for salt water pools!! Their customer service is awesome!

I would go ahead and order the test kit so it gets there and is ready to go when you move in.

I am hoping since it has a SWG you will not have any problems with the CYA levels.

I am going to share a link to get you started on learning the TFP pool care way: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Switched
S,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn how to care for your new-to-you pool..

You need a salt test kit, as the level that is reported by the SWCG can often be way off depending on the time of the year.. I test the "actual" salt level with my test kit and compare what the SWCG reports with the actual, so I have a better idea of what is going on. You will only need to test the salt level a few times a year. It will tend to stay where it is unless you have a leak or get massive amounts of rain.. Which, by reading the news, is not a current problem... :poke:

Not sure what is available down there, but the M400 is pretty expensive.. I suggest you look at the newer and cheaper S200, S300 units. Here is a link to what they look like...

I don't see the pool being tile as any problem for the Dolphin robots.. Just make sure you get one that does the floor, walls, and tile line...

I doubt that any robot will get in and out of your spa on its own. Unless your spa is huge, it will not work in a spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

One other thing, solar covers do not technically "heat" the water. They trap the solar heat under the blanket and keep it in the water instead of letting it get dissapated back into the air.

I'd still get one just to help you hold the solar heated warmth in the water. You might be able to run the solar heating system less often.

Here is THE test kit for your side of the world: Kits – Clear Choice Labs Note they have a kit for salt water pools!! Their customer service is awesome!

I would go ahead and order the test kit so it gets there and is ready to go when you move in.

I am hoping since it has a SWG you will not have any problems with the CYA levels.
Thanks so much Kim! Should I just get a salt kit now and rely on aquachek strips for the other tests? Maybe the kits have a shelf life?
Re CYA with a SWG - is it still recommended to top it up with stabiliser to reach the levels required or not so much a concern because I have a SWG?

t sure what is available down there, but the M400 is pretty expensive.. I suggest you look at the newer and cheaper S200, S300 units.
Thanks Jim! It looks like I can get the m400 for $200 cheaper than a S200. Would this make a M400 a better buy?

thanks for the tips on the salt checks -noted. Will run a check when I get in the house on every test to verify status. Looks like current owner has a pool man visit every 2weeks.

One other thing, solar covers do not technically "heat" the water. They trap the solar heat under the blanket and keep it in the water instead of letting it get dissapated back into the air.

I'd still get one just to help you hold the solar heated warmth in the water. You might be able to run the solar heating system less often.
Thanks Griswald! That makes it a lot clearer now in which way to go. With running
Solar setup less, will it extend the life of solar heating, or reduce running costs (power) or both? I know the solar setup was installed 2 years ago for around 4.5K.

We call those strips "Guess Strips" for a reason. They are more of a GUESS to what the levels are instead of a solid number. To get and keep your pool clear and clean it is best to KNOW what the numbers are. That is what the good test kit does for you.

Pool Service=throw and go-they throw in enough stuff that pushes the numbers sky high in hopes it will last until they come back :shock: that is NOT good for your pool's life in the long run.

Here is a link to our pool care: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.