New Vinyl Inground Pool - Very High Chlorine

JohnC_Tennessee

Apr 24, 2023
Cleveland, TN
Hello! New member... first post. Our new pool has had water for about a week, and the readings after my first set of chemical additions look pretty great except for a high Chlorine. Here are my full test results.

Ph 7.5
Chlorine 21 (!!!) (used the dropper test from the big test kit recommended here)
CYA 70
TA 140
CH 125
CC 0
Salt level 3500

After the cheap test kit I had on day 1 showed a good pH but off-the-charts Chlorine, I turned down the SWG setting to 20%.

The pool is an inground vinyl-lined, 12x32, with a tanning ledge and 6' deep end (about 12k gallons). We keep a solar blanket on it. Water temp has been mid to high 80's.

Are there any recommendations for how to see that Chlorine level come down to a normal level? Will it be harmful to swim in? Should I turn the SWG fully off, and/or leave the solar blanket off for a while so the sun can eliminate more Chlorine from the water over time? Thank you for any recommendations.

70 CYA and 21 FC is still inside the SLAM level, so as long as the water is clear to the bottom, you should have no issue swimming in it.
I'd just monitor the level now you have adjusted the SWG and see what happens. FC will come down, slower with the cover, but it'll still come down.
Small changes, one at a time, make it much easier to get 'dialed in'.
Add your equipment info to your signature, and you'll probably get some more specific advise given your SWG, Pool size and so on.

Welcome to TFP.
Please read Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and also view the videos that provide more details on specific topics TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

At TFP we follow the recommended relationship of CYA and FC. See FC/CYA Levels
Turning down the SWCG setting is best and just let it drift downward.

Your TA will slowly come down as you add muriatic acid to keep your pH in the mid-7’s

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.