Salt cell question

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
About a week and a half ago my salt cell was showing 3100. I brought a water sample to the pool store (the salt reader meter is the one thing I don’t have which my local pool store does). They had the reading around 3300-3400 and said the display was likely off because probably my cell that needed cleaning.

Checked it today - week and a half later, and it now shows 2000 with low salt, check cell lights red.

Also tonight was the lowest reading of FC I’ve had all summer.

Thoughts on how to proceed? Assuming I need to take this thing apart and clean it?

Not trying to jump to far ahead but wouldn’t the T-15 be better suited over the T-9 for that size pool?

62P
AL-0
r 1.59
E? (Not sure of symbol) -9

check salt light red
inspect cell orange (steady)

Bought house this past April. They had entire pool/salt system all put in 2014

I’ve never cleaned the cell. Not sure if previous owners did or if it’s part of pool closing (they paid for professional open/close)

Hoping there is a fix until next summer due to some unexpected medical bills in the family :/

Move the switch to off for a few minutes and then back to auto and recheck the instant salinity. It will start high and scroll down and stabilize.

Then, do the same thing again and report the instant salinity in both cases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use liquid chlorine to maintain your FC based on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for non-SWCG pools.

Clean the cell and see if that changes anything.

I believe with a sand filter you can move your multi valve to waste or back wash to relieve any air pressure in the unit. You should not have any.

- - - Updated - - -

Please start adding liquid chlorine so you do not get algae. Use your test kit to test FC every day and add the required liquid chlorine.

What do you mean by leaving the filter on? The pump must be turned off to remove the cell. It is part of the circulation system.

Looks like a bad cell. Clean if necessary and retry readings.

If the cell is clean, it's bad.

You can finish the season with liquid chlorine and replace the cell next year if you don't want to get a new one this year.

Get a T-15 when you get a new cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.