Bronze Supporter
May 24, 2022
Kansas City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Having a 2 year old that's in ultra-explore mode right now, my wife and I are considering adding some sort of safety fence around our pool this spring. We have a fence around the back yard already with lockable gates (although now our almost 6 year old and his friends can just climb over the fence), and I have all doors that lead to our back yard secured with a high locking mechanism the kids can't reach, as well as door chimes when any of our doors open through our alarm system. We plan to only let our kids play in the back yard when supervised, but still want to have preventive measures in place since life happens and it only takes a second to lose track. We want to minimize the risk of an accident happening as much as possible.

That said, I'm considering one of those removable fences to further block off the actual pool area (not right up against the coping but more of a second perimeter). We bought the house with the pool, and considering this option requires drilling into the concrete, I had a couple of questions.

1) I live in a climate that freezes. Is drilling holes in my concrete going to start cracking my concrete around the pools when water finds its way into these holes during the winter, then goes through freeze/thaw cycles?
2) I didn't build the pool, so I have no idea where the pipes are underneath the concrete and around the pool. I really would rather not drill into any of our piping... is there any way to figure out where the pipes are, or should I be concerned about this?

Those are my two main questions. I'd really rather not do this at all, but the life of my kids of #1 importance so here we are.

Having a 2 year old that's in ultra-explore mode right now, my wife and I are considering adding some sort of safety fence around our pool this spring. We have a fence around the back yard already with lockable gates (although now our almost 6 year old and his friends can just climb over the fence), and I have all doors that lead to our back yard secured with a high locking mechanism the kids can't reach, as well as door chimes when any of our doors open through our alarm system. We plan to only let our kids play in the back yard when supervised, but still want to have preventive measures in place since life happens and it only takes a second to lose track. We want to minimize the risk of an accident happening as much as possible.

That said, I'm considering one of those removable fences to further block off the actual pool area (not right up against the coping but more of a second perimeter). We bought the house with the pool, and considering this option requires drilling into the concrete, I had a couple of questions.

1) I live in a climate that freezes. Is drilling holes in my concrete going to start cracking my concrete around the pools when water finds its way into these holes during the winter, then goes through freeze/thaw cycles?
2) I didn't build the pool, so I have no idea where the pipes are underneath the concrete and around the pool. I really would rather not drill into any of our piping... is there any way to figure out where the pipes are, or should I be concerned about this?

Those are my two main questions. I'd really rather not do this at all, but the life of my kids of #1 importance so here we are.
There are usually covers available for the holes and sockets used for that fencing. If un-covered, ice can usually expand upward in an open hole.
Pipes are far deeper than the 4" or so those holes are drilled.

Reactions: zimdogg