Safe to swim?

chadly

Mar 2, 2019
New Orleans, LA
I did a FAS/DPD test after the sun set and got 3.0 FC. My pump ran all night over night with my SWG running at 30%.

I woke up and did another test before the sun started to hit the pool and got 2.0 FC.

I was expecting the FC to be higher so I figured something is eating the chlorine. I ended up deciding to SLAM the pool this morning thinking I need to get rid of something bad in the water.

Long story short, I just did another test about 6 hours after pouring the bleach and got 27.5 FC when I was aiming for 24 FC.

Since I overshot the "shock" level based on the FC/CYA chart, is it still safe to swim with that high level of chlorine? It's a relatively cloudy day today.

Here are my full levels:

FC: 27.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5
CH: 300
TA: 90
CYA: 60

I read that it is OK to swim up to the shock level (for me 24ppm). Since it is a little bit over, if I wanted to jump in, would my skin melt off or what?

I will say if you personally want to swim, and you know that the chlorine is a bit high but are ok with it, then it's your call. I wouldn't call it unsafe, but it might be a bit more public-pool feeling than a TFP pool should. I have been known to bend the rules myself, but when it comes to allowing other people to swim in my pool I follow the guidelines to a T.

I'd wear an old suit. And yeah, its safe to swim up to SLAM level. Your high FC level will drop quickly.

Remember though- a SLAM is *not* a one time addition of chlorine. Its gotta be maintained until you meet all 3 criteria.
1) pool crystal clear
2) CC of 0.5 or lower
3) pass the OCLT

Maddie :flower:

I'd wait, but I'm also risk averse in pretty much all facets of my life. If you do decide to swim, keep the water out of your eyes. Your skin may feel a bit dried out afterwards and your swim suit could get a bit bleached out, but I doubt anything worse would happen. We don't advocate swimming above shock level on this forum.

When it comes to people, companies or products saying something is "safe" there is always a little cushion that goes along with it.
With that FC level, I wouldn't even hesitate to do in head first because that's just how I roll.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.