Rust seepage from surround

cmooty

Jan 25, 2017
League City, TX
So I have a concrete surround on the pool. In a few areas either above the water line, or on the horizontal part of the coping, there are rust stains. I'm guessing this is coming from regarding in the concrete. Pictures below. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

89e6befe9d9b57de1e521510ed8fc85d.jpg
f22925eb05c96d488f129aec20d4e068.jpg

You could try crushing cheap vitamin C tabs (ascorbic acid) in a sock and set it on the stain for a few minutes. You might need to wet it down since this is not in the water. Let me know what you see after you do this.

Kim:kim:

I think the word “-regarding-” in original post was supposed to be “-rebar”-? Just love that auto-correct spelling. It looks like the rust is coming from within the concrete (from steel rebar -concrete reinforcing bars) and working its way out to the surface. My husband is a structural engineer and i have heard this before. During the curing process of the concrete usually there are little cracks that form. As moisture (and especially salt) gets in to these cracks the rebar rusts and expands resulting in more cracking of the concrete. In bridges now (since the 60’s) the rebar is epoxy coated or galvanized——-these will only rust if there is a nick in the coating. A possibility anyway

I think the word “-regarding-” in original post was supposed to be “-rebar”-? Just love that auto-correct spelling. It looks like the rust is coming from within the concrete (from steel rebar -concrete reinforcing bars) and working its way out to the surface. My husband is a structural engineer and i have heard this before. During the curing process of the concrete usually there are little cracks that form. As moisture (and especially salt) gets in to these cracks the rebar rusts and expands resulting in more cracking of the concrete. In bridges now (since the 60’s) the rebar is epoxy coated or galvanized——-these will only rust if there is a nick in the coating. A possibility anyway

Sounds right, any thoughts on further prevention?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.