Rushing to get things done?

PB and plastering sub came out last week to look at the dark spot, which has not gone away. I explained that I was most concerned about any structural problems. Immediately, both said that it was likely a hydration stain caused by pooled water before filling and suggested torching the spot. Showed them pictures that had no pooling and the story changed. Next they said it is widespread calcium scaling (i.e. the dark spot is normal, and the rest of the pool that looks ok is the problem). To prove his case, plastering sub threw several handfuls of Jack's Magic Copper and Scale into the pool and left it there for about 10 minutes. Pool turned dark and blotchy in the spots where it settled and it now looks worse!! They said that the only solution was to do a complete treatment with the Copper and Scale solution to hopefully turn the rest of the pool dark to match the blotches!

The Stonescapes rep is coming out tomorrow with the PB and I asked the PB to bring along his start up guy's test results for the past three weeks. I know that there has been muriatic acid added 2x each week of the servicing start up and a sequestering agent (Jack's Magic Magenta) added right after filling -- not sure about subsequent visits. I've been brushing and skimming every day. Here are my results from today:

FC: 2.0
Ph: 7.6
TA: 150
CH: 430
CSI (calculated): .36

I just can't believe that after only 4 weeks, we have a widespread scaling problem. Honestly, except for that one dark spot (and now the blotches!) the pool looks great and the water is clear. I suspect that there was some problem in the plastering application and now everyone is blaming the pool chemistry. As an aside, I called Jack's Magic and told a technician about the blotching from the Copper and Scale left on the pool surface -- he was horrified and explained that the only way to test is with a stain kit and in any case, the Copper and Scale stuff should sit for absolutely no longer than 30-45 seconds without brushing -- he thinks the blotches are like permanent.

At this point, I just want the PB to go away and not touch the pool again. I'm planning to keep the 10% I still owe him although I am sure it will be a fight.

Before the PB and Stonescapes rep come back tomorrow, could someone look at the test results to make sure that I'm not overreacting and it really could be calcium scaling?
Thank you very much!!!

P.S. I found I could add TFP as a Smile recipient on Amazon and I'm a big online shopper so hopefully this helps!

Jack's Magic #2 Copper and Scale Stuff is Sulfamic Acid.

Scale does not happen in 4 weeks with that CSI and CH.

Whether it's a 30-day startup, or long-term care, you cannot rely, shouldn't rely, on pool professionals to know what they're doing. Or at least to do things 100% with your pool's best interest in mind. PBs can be the worst, and we have lots of stories here where PBs displayed a remarkable lack of understanding about pool water. That's not true of all professionals, I'm sure, I just know I haven't met one yet that knew how to properly test and balance pool water, and in fact a lot of my pool's worst, and most expensive-to-fix problems resulted directly from a pool professional's ineptitude.

Get a good kit, test the water yourself, make sure it's right: through the startup and beyond. Don't be shy or intimidated to bring matters of concern to the professional. Let 'em b and moan. So what. It's your pool, your money. That PB and his maintenance crew will be long gone after that 30 days, and you'll be left with the results, good or bad. Demand they perform to your satisfaction. If you need ammo, TFP is a great resource for that. Based on my experience, I would certainly trust the folks here (especially the experts and mods) over anyone that's ever shown up at my pool... The startup process, and the condition of your water during these first few weeks and months, can greatly impact your pool's appearance and longevity. Some things done wrong at this stage might not show up for years (again, long after the PB is gone), so you can't be too careful just now, IMO. Learn what is the proper startup procedure for your pool type, discuss a plan with your PB and get him and you to agree on it, then monitor that plan to make sure it is executed perfectly.

I handled all that by using TFP and doing the startup myself, which worked out great. But some new builds require the PB to do the startup (warranty-wise) and that's when you have to figure out how best to work with the guy. Personally, I wouldn't trust anybody, blindly, to do what's best for my pool, I'd want to monitor the whole process.
We've been going back and forth with the PB for the last month. He insists that a dark spot is caused by scaling and continues to offer up more acid wash as the only solution which has been refuted by the Stonescapes rep. He claims that start up Ph should be no more than 6.0 and his own start up guy screwed up. Also tried to tell me that Jack's Magic #2 could be safely left on a pool surface prior to brushing for up to 50 minutes with no damage and says the instructions from the manufacturer are wrong. He's now threatening a lien. I can't wait to be rid of him. I've asked for lien waivers from all his subcontractors as well as a final lien release from him in return for payment in full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.