We're novices in all things pool. We're in the process of having the pool resurfaced, new tiles, new lights. We've had a few hiccups along the way and now are facing a 2-3 week holiday/vacation season. The pool company is now rushing to get everything done in the next few days and I'm worried. They have paver work to finish tomorrow (Friday) and also plan to clean/acid wash the pool in preparation tomorrow as well. It is forecasted to rain heavily this weekend into Monday but PB has said they can do the finish in the rain on Monday and we should start filling the pool immediately after that with regular tap water (we have VERY hard water) and do nothing else. They don't plan to come back while the crew is on vacation for the next 2+ weeks at which time they'll begin the chemical/brushing start up procedure. From what I've read, the gap in time might be critical and I'm concerned about the weather as well. Should I tell them to stop and just wait until it can all be done in better weather and at the same time? PB is anxious to get paid and wants all but 10% at the time of finishing. Please help! Thanks.