Rush of Chlorine Odor When Solar Turns On

What you are smelling is chloramines. They are the by product of chlorine oxidizing ammonia based organics.

I assume you maintain your FC in the target range for your CYA.

What you are smelling is chloramines. They are the by product of chlorine oxidizing ammonia based organics.

I assume you maintain your FC in the target range for your CYA.

Thank you very much for your reply. I do my best to stay on top of the FC. I’m wondering if the fact that my solar panels don’t drain at the end of each day is why the chloramines build up and I’m getting the strong odor in the morning. I wish there was a way the solar system drain after it’s turned off, but because of the location of them on my roof and my pool equipment that’s not possible.

That is odd. I thought all solar systems have a VRV and should drain. You might want to check your system design. But I am not an expert on solar heating systems.

That is odd. I thought all solar systems have a VRV and should drain. You might want to check your system design. But I am not an expert on solar heating systems.
Anytime the panels are located on the opposite side of the roof that the pool equipment is on, water will not be able to drain out of the system. I’m trying to figure out a way to allow it to drain by rigging up some piping and valves. If water is sitting in a panel, I’m assuming the heat and lack of flow could be contributing to the build up of chloramines. Thoughts?

Not sure about the build up of chloramines -- what would the chlorine be reacting with? May be the extreme heat?

Let's ask @JoyfulNoise and @mas985 for their thoughts on the non-draining solar panels and the creation of CC in them.

Hot stagnant water in panels will definitely build up all sorts of nasty stuff. The chlorine in the water will definitely get used up and turn into chloramines over time of bacteria or organic biofilms are present. You could definitely benefit from a way of draining the system.

Reactions: mknauss
Hot stagnant water in panels will definitely build up all sorts of nasty stuff. The chlorine in the water will definitely get used up and turn into chloramines over time of bacteria or organic biofilms are present. You could definitely benefit from a way of draining the system.
I’m trying to figure out how to do this given my existing setup. I’m wondering if I could somehow run some pvc pipe from the drain at the low end of the system on the roof, along the gutter, then down the side of the house. I would try to tap into one of the pool lines that runs in the ground along the side of the house after going into a backfield preventer to allow water to only flow down the drain, not up. Sounds crazy, I know.

Attachments

• CE3D74CD-E435-4627-9AD2-D53AD41C46C1.jpeg
    CE3D74CD-E435-4627-9AD2-D53AD41C46C1.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 7289C8F8-4293-40A7-902F-49FE4B9CB39E.jpeg
    7289C8F8-4293-40A7-902F-49FE4B9CB39E.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had solar panels at my last pool and looking at yours I don't see why the panels can't drain. Look for a valve on the end of the PVC (at roof peak) after the last panel. Yours might just be stuck. Never heard of a solar panel system that doesn't drain after being off. You might even be able to just add a vrv valve to make it work.

What brand of solar system is this?

Yeah, that setup doesn't really help you out. The panels and equipment are on opposite sides, so the only way to drain the panels is manually through that spigot on the lower pipe. I'm not sure how complicated you want to make this but maybe just manually draining the system when you know it will not be used for a few days is the way to go.

Yeah, that setup doesn't really help you out. The panels and equipment are on opposite sides, so the only way to drain the panels is manually through that spigot on the lower pipe. I'm not sure how complicated you want to make this but maybe just manually draining the system when you know it will not be used for a few days is the way to go.
The crazy thing is, the chloramine buildup is quite noticeable even after 4 hours of being off when the sun is out in the afternoon. I’ll let you know if I can figure out something. Lots of head scratching in the near future.

In my opinion, the chlorine smell is coming from the tab feeder.

If the pump is ever off when the tab feeder contains tabs, you are going to get a buildup of chlorine gas and chlorinated gasses.

I had solar panels at my last pool and looking at yours I don't see why the panels can't drain. Look for a valve on the end of the PVC (at roof peak) after the last panel. Yours might just be stuck. Never heard of a solar panel system that doesn't drain after being off. You might even be able to just add a vrv valve to make it work.

What brand of solar system is this?
I have an air valve at the top far end of the solar panels. It definitely works because the air sound is pretty loud when the system turns off, but the water has no place to drain too. It won’t drain back over the peak of the roof to where the pool equipment is.

Can you describe how you run the pool?

Is the system off while the feeder contains tabs?

Can you show a picture of the system?

How full do you keep the feeder?

Have you ever opened the feeder and smelled a strong chlorine smell?

Last edited:
Can you describe how you run the pool?

Is the system off while the feeder contains tabs?

Can you show a picture of the system?

How full do you keep the feeder?

Have you ever opened the feeder and smelled a strong chlorine smell?
Sorry for the delayed response. My pool turns on early in the morning around sunrise. Solar kicks on I’d say between 7:30-8AM most of the time. Polaris runs for an hour from 8-9AM. During the week pool turns off at 1PM, and 5PM on weekends. This is due to the TOU electric rates I’m on.
The feeder is inline after the solar and I put in 5 tablet every 2-3 weeks, which stay inside the housing all the time until dissolved. I manually add liquid chlorine about twice a week.

Attachments

• 6E6E6F61-4F39-4094-AA1C-E7261DB89273.jpeg
    6E6E6F61-4F39-4094-AA1C-E7261DB89273.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 6C04FDF5-B0A5-4910-A5B7-46D50EFE5A77.jpeg
    6C04FDF5-B0A5-4910-A5B7-46D50EFE5A77.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 11
See if the problem continues when there are no tabs in the feeder.

I would not leave tabs in the feeder with no water flow.

Once the tabs get wet, they continue to dissolve and create a very dangerous, corrosive and toxic mixture of acidic water and chlorinated gasses that will migrate through the system and destroy anything they can get to.

A continuous flow of water keeps the concentration of chlorine in the feeder down to a reasonable amount.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.