Rounding the Corner... Install Completed 7/27/13

hahahahaha! Dogs are hilarious... :grin:

They are a couple bone head boxers! lol You have to keep a close eye on them when walking above on the hill because they will plow you over! I've been taken down at least 3 times this year by a Rottweiler and 2x's by the fawn boxer! My brindle boxer, Mum, took out my 14 year old lab (Casey) and broke her hip in 2011. I had to put her down. :( They play hard outside, as you can see.

Oh, I love it now and it isn't even finished! I'll love it even more knowing I had by dirty grimy hands all over it too. :mrgreen:

I am so sore though. I feel like I'm residing in a 90 year old body. lol So pitiful...

It's finally raining and I hope it washes all the dirt off my new deck! :mrgreen: My garden was needing it too!

Casey, awesome job on the deck. But, what did we expect? You did an unbelievable job on the pool too!

I am hearing you ladies about doing the job when the guys are otherwise occupied. The same thing happens here. ALL the time! Been married to my husband for 23 years and still can't get used to having to do most of the projects myself. They say we teach people how to treat us. It seems I've taught him to wait till I'm tired of asking (over and over) and I'll get disgusted and do it myself (when he's gone so I don't fuss at him). I did everything on our pool except the leveling. I think tho that if I'd done it myself it'd have been done better. The guy that leveled and compacted the soil had a different idea of level and smooth from my idea of level and smooth. Kind of look forward to the day it needs replacing so I can fix the dirt the way I want it.

Anyway, Casey, beautiful job. Pics of the granddaughter enjoying the pool? Your dogs are great! I have 1 maltese and 2 shih tsus. Only one likes the water and I had to put up barriers under my wood steps because she snuck into the pool. Scared the dickens out of me. I was working on the pump and heard a noise but couldn't figure out what it was. Went back to work and heard the noise again. I looked up and Holly (shih tsu) was in the pool paddling around, scratching on the inside wall of the pool :drown: :shock:. I just about had a heart attack! I kept my cool (the steps were on the opposite side of the pool from where we were) and called her to me, calmly, and grabbed her and hauled her out. Turns out she went under the steps to the deck and climbed up and thru them to get to the upside of them. I now have them boarded up from underneath so we won't have a replay of that!

For those interested... Here are some pics of our beautiful granddaughter. She's coming for a visit with us for on Sunday evening. She was kissing me up and down today and so happy to see me. I love my kids with all my heart and when this little one came into my life, it was like the love I have for my kids but 10 times stronger! Must be a Grandma's love... or in my case, LaLa's Love! :mrgreen:

Here are the pics of our granddaughter tater.

My dad has always, always taught me that if I want something done right, to do it myself and those words are what I live by. I love hubby so much but if I had to wait on him, I'd get nothing done and as I was outside, all day yesterday, he came out and said, I stayed out of your way since you get more done without me than with me here. I laughed. He did help me with the last few deck boards. I'm giving him a pass though with everything he's been through as his memory isn't what it used to be and he tires easily. :) He's very good to me.

You granddaughter is a treat! Look at those cheeks ! They are for kissing aren't they LaLa!
I've followed your thread and God love you both. You've had some kind of year. My hubby has health issues too so I find that I need to pick up a lot of the slack. Good thingi enjoythis kindof stuff. My parents taught me the same. They also drilled into me that I could do anything I put my mind to and that I needed to exercise my brain. I love working on the pool almost more than swimming in it because it challenges me. I hired a company to build my deck but they used my design because it was drawn out better than theirs.

I've picked up a lot of slack with him. I knew as soon as I heard brain injury that life wouldn't be the same and it hasn't been. He still looks good though! It counts for something right? :mrgreen: His short term memory has been squashed. I can't count on him to take the garbage out every Thursday night but when he does, it's a pleasant surprise because he remembered. I called him Porky Pig yesterday because he kept stammering over his words and we both were laughing. He hates it but that's the price you pay holding it wide open around a 90 degree corner. *shrugs* I keep telling him he's lucky he gets to wake up in the morning... quit yer complaining about how much your can't do!

Those cheeks... Oh yes... those cheeks were made for LaLa to pinch and kiss! :mrgreen: She is as delicious as she looks! I just love her to pieces!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well thank you Taterfink! I appreciate your kind words. I do my best with what I've got.

I put my solar cover on the pool for the first time in a long time. I stopped using it because it was to much for my shoulder and reaching over the pool walls was a feat in itself! Not an issue now. I unrolled the pieces and pushed them to the other side of the pool with the brush on the pole. I'll be taking it off in the day. Pool needs swept tomorrow because I brushed it today.

2 1/2 weeks.... 2 1/2 weeks of too cold water to swim/float around in the pool. One would think the temps would have been nice for finishing out that deck.

:nopic:

(I couldn't find an emoticon that said "This thread is useless without NEW pics!" So that one will just have to do! LOL!)

I got the deck floor done and started on the back of the deck where the hill will meet the deck. I'll get pics in the morning as I am at work Mac! :mrgreen: I had my future DIL and her sister and her kids over a few days ago with my granddaughter and I. The water was amazing and we had the pool waving! We broke the thermometer too so I have to get in tomorrow and make sure no glass was dropped behind the ladder. My granddaughter even fell asleep on a raft while I was holding her under the umbrella. :mrgreen: We had a great time!!!

ETA, here is the pic of her asleep with me holding her.

She's into pointing right now and every time she sees the pool, she's got her finger pointing at it. I tell her, that's your pool! She shakes her head yes and keeps pointing! :mrgreen: Love her so much!!!

How sweet is that! GRINS!

Kim

Kim, this baby... she is the sweetest, loveliest, happiest little one I've ever had the pleasure of being with and taking care of. I'm not just saying that. She never cries, puts herself to sleep and eats whatever I put in front of her! I'm going to get her tomorrow! I hate giving her back! lol

Your granddaughter is precious. Happy one year pool birthday too!

Thank you! And it has been up a year what? Tomorrow I think! Hard to believe it's been a year!

So here are some pics for all interested, especially Mac! I forgot to do it this morning because I had my bed in mind over the pool but I got up around 2 to sweep and brush it and get it ready for the nasty weather tomorrow and this week coming up. So here we go...

A pic from the road above...

A side view...

The back view of the deck. Now, I ran out of boards but I'm nailing 2x6's up along the back 3 high to keep the dirt from coming onto the deck because it's under ground. I'll be stapling weed barrier to the back and back filling with gravel from along side the garage because I have enough of it! I'm going to move the gravel myself with a wheel barrel. Jimmy is already yelling at me that I can't but I am and I don't want to hear anything else about it. So sick of shelling money out on excavators and bobcats! Oh and check that post out on the far right! I looked at it after it dried and asked Jim, How on EARTH did that slide past my eyes and make it into the hole?!!! It is beyond me but they are all getting cut off so it doesn't matter. The deck boards on the deck will be going up to give the front a finished look and I'm running a 2x10 to cap it off and mounting the post for the lattice on top of the 2x10.

This is where the steps will be. I need another stringer. I'll be butting the boards up against the pool. IF this deck is not complete this fall and there are no steps on it, I'll be making hubby mad and adding onto the deck next year with a step down platform that goes out to the edge of the garage. He doesn't know it yet but I love deck space so I'm in no hurry to get the steps on. :mrgreen:

Now, I'm not a pro by any means but I think I did a pretty good job on it with Jimmy's help. I wish he would have did the 345 rule but he felt I didn't know what I was talking about and totally blew me off and the deck is NOT square which totally got me seeing red. Then he says, your boards are running sideways and I was like REALLY?! I know they are, I'll fix it at the end! He wanted me to start cutting and laying them different and I fired him!

You can see in this pic how I had to rip the boards to get it to even out. I'm sure some people like my brother would ride me about it but I had to fix it and this is how I did it.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. There will be more to come as we get more money. I need a couple more 2x6's and a couple 2x10's before I can move on. So, I'm taking a break and enjoying my granddaughter this weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.