Rooftop Infinity Edge Build

Welp, You didn’t come here for construction advice like you said. You needed chemistry advice which we certainly can do as well. And as friend-ily as I promised. :)

So I am around this type house all the time. On the ocean and everything. I’ve literally been in more than I can count. What I always see is that with an owner that didn’t need to spare expenses, the pools are insanely over engineered with 8 pumps and multiple filters. Many will have every gadget and commercial grade device there is. Maybe several. The point to this story is that the 40k SWG unit would work just fine in the states, but may not produce enough chlorine in a hot/Tropical climate. If it’s available I would highly recommend a 60k unit because the sunshine is going to LOVE to burn up your FC in the peak season. If a 60k unit isn’t available, I would have two 40k units installed side by side. It will add $1500(ish) to the project and be a drop in the proverbial bucket. After all, you want it to not only be easy, but worry free chemistry when you aren’t there. It would be the best money you spent.

When you have the time, start your chemistry journy here ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. It’s a lot of terms at first but simple stuff and they will click after a few reads. Take some time to process it all and read it again. We are here to answer any questions in the meantime.
Very informative information. I will make sure to read it. We have thus far concentrated all our energy and a lot of resources on structural engineering pursuits and zero on water chemistry and the such. We specifically requested an Emaux product because someone we know with a pool has one and highly recommended it. I will request for a bigger model than the 40K salt chlorinator. At least will try to get educated on it. Thanks.

I will request for a bigger model than the 40K salt chlorinator. At least will try to get educated on it. Thanks.
Allen found the manufacturer stating it generates 2.64 lbs of chlorine per day which if true would be GREAT as is. Typically here in the states a 40k unit is around 1.4 lbs per day and that may not have been enough.

I would also recommend reading up on the pool school section of the website, starting with the ABC's:

The next question is how will you be caring for the pool? Hopefully you will be doing this yourself, since that is what this site is all about. If you are caring for your pool once completed, your next step would be to ensure you have a quality test kit. We typically recommend the TF-100, but that can be challenging to get outside of the US. With that said, we have helped people all over the world get the right test kits. You can use the search feature above to try and find prior recommendations for test kits in your area. Hope that helps and keep the questions coming!

Reactions: Newdude
I would also recommend reading up on the pool school section of the website, starting with the ABC's:

The next question is how will you be caring for the pool? Hopefully you will be doing this yourself, since that is what this site is all about. If you are caring for your pool once completed, your next step would be to ensure you have a quality test kit. We typically recommend the TF-100, but that can be challenging to get outside of the US. With that said, we have helped people all over the world get the right test kits. You can use the search feature above to try and find prior recommendations for test kits in your area. Hope that helps and keep the questions coming!
That is another conversation topic to broach with the pool companies. They all include test kits in their respective quotes but without make and model.

That is another conversation topic to broach with the pool companies. They all include test kits in their respective quotes but without make and model.
In the US, the builders typically include the very basic test kit that does not do the tests required. I told mine to keep his cheap kit and I bought the TF-100, which costs about $100 USD.

Getting a full automation product like the Pentair Intellicenter and a variable speed pump like the Intelliflo would probably be a good idea so that you can remotely monitor and control everything.

A salinity tester is a good idea.

The K-1766 salt test kit is a good idea as well.

If you get the Intellicenter with an IC60 cell, you can monitor the salinity from anywhere over the internet because it measures the salinity for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will the power supply be 50 hz or 60 hz?

Whatever equipment you get will need to match the frequency.

If you want heating, your choices are solar, natural gas, propane, heat pump or resistance electric.

If you might want cooling, there are heat pumps that can heat or cool.

Since this is a plaster pool you are going to have to worry about a few more variables then you would if this were a vinyl or fiberglass pool. You will have to worry about CSI this is basically the calcium level or rather the hardness of the water. To hard and you get scaling, to soft and the water will leach plaster out of the pool itself. I don’t think it’s very hard to manage, but I don’t really know as I have an old school vinyl pool from the 70’s. You will need to have the pool re plastered every 10-20 years or so depending on the type of plaster and how well you keep the chemistry of the pool balanced. On top of a four story building that will probably be an interesting feat. Also invest in a pool robot to clean the pool, they are so much better then any other type of automatic pool cleaner. You stated earlier that it’s an independent beamed structure supporting the pool. I take that to mean a steel structure to support the pool with the rest of the house built around it? Anyway, very ambitious architecture, very cool. Could potentially be pushing HGTV or Frank Lloyd Wright type of cool..

Reactions: Jmerges
Since this is a plaster pool you are going to have to worry about a few more variables then you would if this were a vinyl or fiberglass pool. You will have to worry about CSI this is basically the calcium level or rather the hardness of the water. To hard and you get scaling, to soft and the water will leach plaster out of the pool itself. I don’t think it’s very hard to manage, but I don’t really know as I have an old school vinyl pool from the 70’s. You will need to have the pool re plastered every 10-20 years or so depending on the type of plaster and how well you keep the chemistry of the pool balanced. On top of a four story building that will probably be an interesting feat. Also invest in a pool robot to clean the pool, they are so much better then any other type of automatic pool cleaner. You stated earlier that it’s an independent beamed structure supporting the pool. I take that to mean a steel structure to support the pool with the rest of the house built around it? Anyway, very ambitious architecture, very cool. Could potentially be pushing HGTV or Frank Lloyd Wright type of cool..
Thanks. Vinyl is still an option. One pool company says it can do a stainless steel shell built onsite. We are skeptical of that proposal. I don't remember reading anywhere on has gone up that it was built onsite.

Reactions: Jmerges
Thanks. Vinyl is still an option. One pool company says it can do a stainless steel shell built onsite. We are skeptical of that proposal. I don't remember reading anywhere on has gone up that it was built onsite.
I had no idea they build stainless pools that big. I don’t know what the potential downsides of a stainless steel pool would be, but I would think it would be very durable. I would suggest researching the different pool types and understanding their pros and cons. Personally I would prefer a fiberglass pool followed by a vinyl. You will have to replace a vinyl liner every 5 to 15 years but it’s a lot cheaper and easier process then re plastering a concrete pool. If you decide to go vinyl I would recommend choosing a liner that has a solid base color though out. Our current liner is an electric blue color. It’s pattern is printed on top of a solid blue base material. The liner we replaced had a blue pattern printed on a white base material. When we replaced it the pool was completely white as the blue print had completely faded away. We chose the current liner strictly because it can’t fade completely white and in theory should look nice a lot longer.

The explanation I received is that the pool is solely on primary beams and is independent of the house structure; that it bear its own weight.

He made this comment earlier, so the pool isn't supported by the property, so I'm confused as well.

He made this comment earlier, so the pool isn't supported by the property, so I'm confused as well.

I took it to mean the pool will be on its own support structure independent of the house. So build a pool then build a house around it sort of thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.