Rooftop Infinity Edge Build

For an infinity pool, the infinity edge is usually facing towards the most open area to give the best effect, but it looks like it’s facing the hill?

That seems backwards to me.
The decision for where the infinity edge faces was extremely deliberate and made with serious considerations. Yes, ideally you want the infinity edge facing the view ( an incredible one btw, especially at night), which was the reason for selecting an infinity edge design for the pool. The structure of the pool is supported by beams that has direct transfer load bearing to the ground (t is a very rocky place btw); making the pool support sort of independent from the structure (I suppose those with structural engineering degree get this point). The spacing of the beams to support the pool is not great for the needed size of the bedroom below it. It therefore came down to a choice between the bedroom or the infinity edge of the pool facing the view. We figured it is best to wake up or go to bed looking at that view than the very narrow angle needed to really the infinity edge effect. The bedrooms would have terraces and accordion style glass doors that one could open to extend the room to the outside anytime. Also, the orientation of the bar deck would have had to be altered. There are other considerations for it but the above are the main reasons.

Do you have a picture of how everything should look when it is done?
No, I don't have a rendering of what everything would look like. There is some from the proposal phase but while they capture the structural aspect of the design they won't be a good depiction of the end result. The cosmetic design is pretty much in my head.
Do you have a picture of how everything should look when it is done?
No, I don't have a rendering of what everything would look like. There is some renderings from the proposal phase but while they capture the structural aspect of the project they won't be a good depiction of the end result. The cosmetic design is pretty much in my head to be honest. I have added water sprouts in the in-beach area to go between the 4 lounging chairs that would go there, a water cascading feature plus water fog maker from the wall of the cigar deck. Also a water sprout fire bowl at the infinity edge of the in-beach pool area.

Regular concrete is not waterproof and the plaster and tile need to be completed before the pool is filled if it is going to hold water.
The reason for filling the pool with water is to test it for leakages and other defects. The water will stay for a period of time and then drained. The water allows for the pressure of the pipes to be tested as well. Tiling comes after the block work for the entire structure, plus electricity.

Reactions: JamesW
The pipes are plugged and then put under pressure and that process is completely independent from filling the pool.
That is correct. However the flow of the pipes, including the pipes for the fire bow, water cascading feature and water fog system (its effect in this case) all benefits from the normal pool operating condition, at least as close to it as may be possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you guys get to fill-test the pool yet, or is that still waiting on other stages to be completed ?

Pardon my old noggin's memory: Did you ever mention how or if the engineering of this structure was getting done? I seem to recall discussing that there was inadequate support for a pool on top. And I just wanted to point out that the addition of that brick doesn't change that, except to increase the weight of the structure. The brick work probably adds very little to the load bearing, if any at all. And definitely doesn't add any shear support, because of all the windows. Who's doing the engineering?

Did you mention where in the world your project is located?

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW and scdaren
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.