Rooftop Infinity Edge Build

stiritup

Feb 12, 2021
Fairfax, MA
My family has begun the journey of constructing a house which will have a pool with two infinity edges on a rooftop. The pool will be on technically the 4th level of the structure and is 33 feet by 13.9 feet and 4.9 feet deep. It will have a beach access of 8.2 by .94 feet deep and 27 feet long. We are completely clueless in this area and hope to learn, and yes we are that naïve.

I am attaching the pool deck and plan and the current state of the building. The house itself is 3 levels including the basement. The top of the structure as shown is the roof which is a bar terrace. The pool deck comes after the current stage has been slabbed.

Attachments

• Swimming Pool-Model.pdf
    352.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG-20210121-WA0002 Current.jpg
    IMG-20210121-WA0002 Current.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG-20210316-WA0000 pool Plan.jpg
    IMG-20210316-WA0000 pool Plan.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Can't wait to watch this one proceed! Ask away with all your questions. Or just post and we'll ask questions!!

Those support columns look to thin to me.

I would want to be extra sure that everything was as strong as possible with a wide margin of safety.

For this project, you should have a geotechnical engineer to design the ground support and a structural engineer to design the rest.

A pool is extremely heavy and you don't want to take any chances of it cracking or collapsing.

The walls are specified at 200 mm, which is 7.874 inches. In my opinion that's likely not enough.

The support has to be super strong to hold the weight without shifting or sagging.

The concrete strength should be specified as well with a preference for high strength, high performance concrete.

Where is this pool located geographically? We need to change your location. Any seismic concerns to think about in the design?

It's hard to tell for sure, but I would say that the support columns should be at least twice as wide, which would create 4 times as much cross sectional area.

I would go back to the engineer and ask if they are sure that it's designed correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
33 ft x 14 ft x 5 ft deep is about 17,300 gallons, which is 144,282 lbs or 72 tons just for the water.

The concrete will weigh about 114,600 lbs for a total weight of 258,882 lbs or 129 tons.

In my opinion, there's no way that the columns shown are strong enough to support that much weight.

The overall construction looks kind of sketchy, especially if there is supposed to be a pool sitting on the top.

Definitely need to get a qualified engineer to make sure that it's designed correctly.

Can you show a picture of the view from the house outward?

Maybe just put the pool in the yard if you're not 100% sure that the structure will support the pool.

With the slope, an infinity edge will probably still look good.

Let's see what the background looks like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.