Rolling black outs possible NTX

I just had a 20 minute blackout in Austin. I went outside to prep for longer including putting torn up pieces of noodle in the returns and was almost ready to stop breakers when power resumed.

pumps are back on and running. Should I pull the torn noodles out of the return baskets now?

We're going on two hours with no power, i don't think it's a running blackout for us, i think it's an actual outage. The wife and I went out and drained the pump, booster, and filter. Breakers are off. If power is back tomorrow, I'll put it all back together and run it and hope for the best. The water followed easily, seemed like it could hold anther hour or two but we didn't want to risk it.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am afraid to drain at this point since its 8 degrees I am afraid it will freeze up coming out. Right now my pool is running better on medium than full power so just want to make it until tomorrow so I can go out and break up ice again around the surface.
It was 3 or 4 degrees with ridiculous windchill last night when we decided to drain. The water flowed quickly out of the pumps (Didn’t freeze up coming out). We weren’t able to get water out of the pool but the equipment pad is probably saved.

We are on blackout #5 of the night. I get wind power is better, but not right now if it doesn’t work in ice. At this point send out a whaling fleet.

We had 3 blackouts overnight, second two within 10 mins of each other which makes me wonder if the third was a real outage because it lasted an hour. I was putting on my long Johns to go out and drain the equipment when it blessedly came back on. Pump was running fine but I need to investigate further once there’s daylight. I’m concerned that tonight is going to be worse and wondering if I should drain in anticipation of repeated, extended blackouts. My concern is, I’m not super versed in draining. I have a spigot that my builder said to open up in case of a freeze and power outage, but is that enough? I have a heater and a cleaner booster as well. And I’m assuming I should open the waterfall valve. And I see people are stick pool noodle chunks in their skimmers, which I do have.

We're going on two hours with no power
Everybody think of how long it takes to make ice cubes in your freezer at 0 degrees. Give or take thats where your outside temps are. If some thin ice crust starts to form in an hour, theonly place it might hurt is actuator valves or certain water features.

At 2 hours without power things might be starting to seize up, but still not to the point of bursting PVC. That old flimsy gardenhose with the kinks, maybe, but not 2 inch PVC.

so the morale of the story is that you have some time when the power goes out, but you are also right to have a plan ready to spring into action because a 20 minute outage can become 5 hours quickly.

Reactions: sas90
We had 3 blackouts overnight, second two within 10 mins of each other which makes me wonder if the third was a real outage because it lasted an hour. I was putting on my long Johns to go out and drain the equipment when it blessedly came back on. Pump was running fine but I need to investigate further once there’s daylight. I’m concerned that tonight is going to be worse and wondering if I should drain in anticipation of repeated, extended blackouts. My concern is, I’m not super versed in draining. I have a spigot that my builder said to open up in case of a freeze and power outage, but is that enough? I have a heater and a cleaner booster as well. And I’m assuming I should open the waterfall valve. And I see people are stick pool noodle chunks in their skimmers, which I do have.
I'm with you, never drained a pool before. Draining the filter is ready enough, it has a plug on the side. What do you drain on the pump and booster pump?

Everybody think of how long it takes to make ice cubes in your freezer at 0 degrees. Give or take thats where your outside temps are. If some thin ice crust starts to form in an hour, theonly place it might hurt is actuator valves or certain water features.

At 2 hours without power things might be starting to seize up, but still not to the point of bursting PVC. That old flimsy gardenhose with the kinks, maybe, but not 2 inch PVC.

so the morale of the story is that you have some time when the power goes out, but you are also right to have a plan ready to spring into action because a 20 minute outage can become 5 hours quickly.
I want snow in Atlanta but not that storm :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.