Rolling black outs possible NTX

colonelkirby

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
DFW - Plano, TX
I see mentioned these can be 30 to 45min long,. Given 0 to 20 degree Temps, should plugs be pulled if this occurs or can I wait a bit for power to come back up? TIA.

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The ones that have hit here have been 15 mins so far. You're asking the right question, but I'm not sure the answer. In my mind 15 mins is when my pool and spa switch on freeze mode and that seems to be holding up okay, so a 15 min blackout should also be okay. A 30 or 45 min blackout, that may be trouble.

colonelkirby

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
DFW - Plano, TX
The ones that have hit here have been 15 mins so far. You're asking the right question, but I'm not sure the answer. In my mind 15 mins is when my pool and spa switch on freeze mode and that seems to be holding up okay, so a 15 min blackout should also be okay. A 30 or 45 min blackout, that may be trouble.
Makes sense. Y'all have already had blackouts? We have not so far.

ejs873

Jan 29, 2021
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Nothing here in Waxahachie yet... Pool started freezing over even with pumps running so I shut everything down and drained below the tile... Hopefully no blackouts..

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Makes sense. Y'all have already had blackouts? We have not so far.
I have friends in 2 different neighborhoods here that said they got hit with either gas or electricity. Our neighborhood is 600+ homes, so I'm hoping we get spared.

ejs873

Jan 29, 2021
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just lost it here... Oncor map says 0430.. I hope that's wrong!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
Power was out for 15 minutes, came back for 5, now back out...i really don't want to go outside to drain the equipment... But if it's not back in 30... In going to have to

fagin007

Aug 2, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Power was out for 15 minutes, came back for 5, now back out...i really don't want to go outside to drain the equipment... But if it's not back in 30... In going to have to
I am afraid to drain at this point since its 8 degrees I am afraid it will freeze up coming out. Right now my pool is running better on medium than full power so just want to make it until tomorrow so I can go out and break up ice again around the surface.

joboo7777

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
McKinney, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just came out of 15 min power outage. Pump came back without issue. Water at 32 with some slush on top around the edges. Bullet 1 dodged.

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
We just had our first and my hands are numb from breaking up the ice. Winter sucks.

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
We're at 20°, last i checked the pool temp was 50° before the outage... I wrapped the above ground pipes and covered the whole pad with a tarp... I'm hoping that's enough to keep the water in the pipes from freezing until the power comes back and pump kicks on. I went out to look at the pool a few minutes ago, no slush or ice in the pool yet

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I really didn’t get too slushy until we hit 11 degrees. Now we are at 6. Hopefully you in Houston can ride this out with just freeze protection.

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
I really didn’t get too slushy until we hit 11 degrees. Now we are at 6. Hopefully you in Houston can ride this out with just freeze protection.

Gotta have power for the freeze protection to kick on and the pump to run lol we're powerless right now

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
True that. My blackout was only 15 mins. It seems odd that you would get hit with 2 back to back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.