Robots- any alternatives to dragging the cord across decking?

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

I've got a new pool build in the planning stages; I've had a robot in the past, with the outlet on a wall 8' or so from the pool edge, power supply mounted on the wall, with the cord dragging across the ground/decking to get to the pool. I'm in Dallas, and keep the robot in year-round (he's only out while I'm dosing). Does anyone have a setup where the cord isn't laying across the ground/decking? My PB told me the outlet needs to be 6' away from the pool edge, so I can't have an outlet hiding behind a feature (rocks/ledge/etc.) I'm thinking about a run of PVC from the outlet wall through the tile (not unlike where an overflow drain would enter), large enough where I can pull the plug end through when he needs to be pulled out and away for service. Maybe an upturn at the well end so I don't have waves pushing water out by the wall.

Anyone doing any interesting here?

Thanks!

I pull my robot out of the water after each use (unless I'm away on vacation) so I haven't looked into something like what you're asking. But I'm interested in what you come up with. If you went the PVC-through-the-tile-solution, where would the plug end exit the PVC? Under water? I may not be visualizing properly.

I came across this when I was researching robots and possibly using an old pressure-side PVC pipe to run the robot power cord through.

Looks perfect for what I am wanting to do but unfortunately, that link looks to be from 2018 and I see no additional mention of it anywhere on Maytronics' current site.

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
All good questions, especially about the robot disturbing it when climbing the walls. That might be why it hasn't been released yet.

In my situation, I assumed the control box would be by my equipment pad where the return line goes. Since the Poolside connect is designed for the latest and greatest robots, I also assumed most of the controlling would be done through their app on my phone.

That's really cool. Essentially PB will give me the "poolside" solution, but without the inductive link (which is fine, as the cord from the power supply to the "skimmer"/induction connection point will be through PVC as opposed to buried in the dirt). It would just be a continuous line. I like how they've got the notch cut out of the coping the cord stays below the surface- think I'll steal that idea!

Interesting about the skimmer cover.
For about 10 months out of the year here I can get by with just running the robot on a weekly basis. For those months I pull it after each use and put it on its caddy and wheel it into the storage shed with the other pool stuff.

For the 2 months in the fall/spring where we get leaves I will keep the robot in the pool most of the time since I usually run it every 1-2 days then.

If I had to keep the robot in the water during the swim season, I would definitely look into a solution like you mentioned. You may even be able to take it one step further and put a cubby hole like a "robot garage" in the plaster so the robot could hang out there and be out of the way of swimming.

Reactions: Snoobug and jklocke
You may even be able to take it one step further and put a cubby hole like a "robot garage" in the plaster so the robot could hang out there and be out of the way of swimming.
Love it! Let's take it another step further and program the robot to drive into the garage after its two-hour cycle! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PB said he'd run a 2" PVC line to a stub/box that would look like another skimmer cover and I'd run the cord thru that, which isn't a bad idea.

My prediction is an outlet recessed into the ground will get water in it and the receptacle will corrode and you will begin getting GFCI trips. It will work good for a while and then become a constant problem.

Yup- so no outlet in the ground/stub box- it will be continuous cord from the robot, up out of the pool, back down into the skimmer/stub, through the PVC, and up out of ground to the power supply (off the ground). Pool is 35' long, then 8' to the house, and a few feet up off the ground plus a few more for slack (power supply will likely be mounted to the wall) and I'm good on a 60' M600 cord :)

We already came up with a completely different solution in another post. The robot is completely wireless - using some type of pulse technology to transmit commands to operate and have it lift itself out of the water, clean the filter and roll to a storage area. We just need to wait 5-10 years until that solution is economical. The technology is available but expensive.

I have been trying to figure out the same exact problem.. The only thing I could come up with is buying a 3d printer and building something.. I am thinking a 2 inch wide x 2 inch deep x 14 inch long (coping size) with a removable top like an in deck drainage system on each corner of the pool.. I have a raised bond beam so it would work for me into the pool but not across the deck... With a 2 inch pipe coming from beyond the deck with power close it should work... That will give me a place to run the power through..

I would LOVE to have that poolside connect but I looked for something like that and found nothing.. Now that it is in Beta maybe it will be in production in 5 to 10 years :)

Yup- so no outlet in the ground/stub box- it will be continuous cord from the robot, up out of the pool, back down into the skimmer/stub, through the PVC, and up out of ground to the power supply (off the ground). Pool is 35' long, then 8' to the house, and a few feet up off the ground plus a few more for slack (power supply will likely be mounted to the wall) and I'm good on a 60' M600 cord :)
texasmax, I’m also in the process of designing our new pool and will be using a pool robot - probably the Maytronics S200. I like your idea of hiding the robot cord. DI’d you ever implement the idea (similar to the photo below) of having your PB notch the coping, install the dummy skimmer box, and run the 2” PVC pipe under the patio to the GFCI outlet and robot power supply?

I’ve never had a pool robot before. Do you envision issues with feeding the robot cord through the skimmer and 2” PVC to the power supply outlet assuming a short, straight run?

Thanks,

Mark
1619788629669.jpeg

Reactions: HermanTX and borjis
The post where the guy had the single gang weatherproof box w/ the dolphin connectors is still eluding me.
He had a beautiful pool with some rock around it & the box was hidden next to one. Basically he just bought a spare dolphin cord (to run through conduit he had buried in his landscaping) & the connectors.

The post where the guy had the single gang weatherproof box w/ the dolphin connectors is still eluding me.
He had a beautiful pool with some rock around it & the box was hidden next to one. Basically he just bought a spare dolphin cord (to run through conduit he had buried in his landscaping) & the connectors.
I think this is that post:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.