Rising Stabilizer

ktgirl77

May 20, 2020
new jersey
Hello,

Since having a pool, we've used liquid chlorine / bleach to chlorinate the pool. The main reason being, to prevent rising stabilizer. BUT, it just kills me to put all those plastic bottles into the world. Not environmentally responsible at all. We've discussed switching to salt water, but with Covid we are not wanting to make any unnecassary financial investments. It appears, there aren't many options out there to chlorinate without stabilizer. The only two options I have found is letting out water, or using a bio active compound ( which has mixed reviews). Any other other options or products we should look into?

Thanks so much for you help!!!
Katie

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a complete set of test results you can post? If your CH is low, you can use cal hypo some if you like.
Are you using 10 or 12.5% bleach? Can you fill out your signature so we know what type of pool, size, equipment, etc?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a complete set of test results you can post? If your CH is low, you can use cal hypo some if you like.
Are you using 10 or 12.5% bleach? Can you fill out your signature so we know what type of pool, size, equipment, etc?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Hi,
Thanks for responding. I will try to get that filled out. We haven't opened for the season yet. Still chilly nights in NJ. My husband usually does all the posting and I've been bugging him about other options for chlorine, and finally took it upon myself to get the answer.

Honestly SWG is the most environmental way to go about sanitizing a pool. Bioactive's mixed reviews are full of bad testing (an unfortunate truth of most pool chemicals) and, judging by what happened on the forum, some suspected planted reviews. When it comes to well tested and controlled tests, there isn't much mixed about it.

Chlorine is a gas, it can't be solid without being bound to something solid. Unfortunately that means CYA or calcium.

Reactions: ktgirl77
You can also get the refillable plastic jugs if you have a store around you that does that. You basically buy a 2-gal jug of chlorine in a reusable yellow container then you exchange it when you need more. Our pool stores do that as well as Ace Hardware. Our Ace Hardware also allows you to fill a 55 gal drum from their tank if you really want to save money!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.