Returns/Plumbing questions

This has a lot of tips that you can find helpful...

If you redo the pump plumbing use these unions...

Thank you!!!! I'll definitely order those and I also read through the pvc pool school.

I do have a question though regarding pvc pipe size. Would it be beneficial to use 2" pipe all around when redoing?

Also would you recommend replacing all the jandy valves as well?

If you are doing the entire equipment pad then just use 2" PVC for everything.

I am familiar with the black Jandy Neverlube diverters and the grey Jandy diverters. Yours look blue and I am not sure what they are. They are probably old enough that the O rings are going and if redoing everything else I would use new diverter valves from Jandy or Pentair which are less expensive.

Ok. I purchased the unions for the pool equipment.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to redo the plumbing and fix up the entire pad, so now I'm planning and starting to rder some of the supplies so they'll be here during my vacation week.

One area I'm not certain on regarding the plumbing is the replacing of the Jandy valves. It would seem I will need to cut the pipes below the fitting currently on the valves to remove them. This will make the pipe left very short. I assume I'd just need a fitting and a small section of 2" pipe to get the pipes back to the correct height and then add new fittings to the extension in order to connect to jandy valve?

If thats correct, then I think I'm going to start putting my parts list together.

Last edited:
Just a quick follow up question. I'm getting ready to start with my plumbing repair. I'm going to so the suction side first.

Do I need that union between the pump and valve or is it OK to just take the 2" pipe from the valve to the pump?

I have the unions that will connect to the pump so the pump will be able to be disconnected from the line in the future if need be.

Just was not sure if that union was there for a reason.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-122634_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-122634_Gallery.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 4
I fixed the suction side leak!!! I also fixed the jandy valve leak.

The pump is running much better now. I was pretty intimidated by fixing the plumbing so I'm pretty happy.

That said, the 2 jets that were not previously working are still not producing water. I guess the next step is to plug working jets and see if water comes out of those.

Reactions: mknauss
Ok. It seems like the jet that has the hardest flow is not plumbed with the other jets in the pool.

I plugged the jet on the opposite side and that forced water through the jet down the line from it. I then plugged that one and it forced water through the jet that hasn't been working.

So the plumbing all seems fine. I have a 1.5 hp pump. Is it possible my pump is not large enough to run all the return lines?

This is the jet that has the most pressure. I'm not sure what type of eyeball would fit that. There are threads inside there.

The rest of the returns do not look like this one.

Attachments

• 20210313_141135_capture.jpg
    20210313_141135_capture.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 6
Ernest,

I suspect that was not originally a pool return.. It was most likely a pressure side cleaner port that has been converted to a return.. I would find a threaded plug that fits, and would drill a half inch hole in the middle of it.. or.. just completely plug it up.. Either way should work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.