Retaining wall / sheer descent placement questions

Doctormario

Dec 10, 2019
Georgia
Hi TFP,

Brand new member here and plan to be a long time reader. We have a new fiberglass pool construction being planned for the winter. Our yard is sloped, and we are planning to replace these unused flower beds and (leaky old) garden fountain with the 12x27 San Juan "Biloxi" flat bottom model. Our PB offered us two options for a retaining wall with sheer descents - one is to incorporate three descents into the back end of the pool that stick up 18" off the patio / 24" off the water line. My wife is adamantly opposed to this as it will block the view of the back yard while in the pool and our kids' swing-set is back there. The other option is to put the waterfalls on the property line / fence side, do a little bit of patio off the back, and put up a rail to make the retaining wall adhere to code. The retaining wall will be around 3.5-4 feet high. Any thoughts on this situation? My PB prefers the waterfalls at the far end as he thinks it will look better from the deck and be incorporated into the retaining wall more concisely. I could go either way. I suppose if the waterfalls are on the side we could use the bench while the waterfalls are running.

Thanks!!!

DM

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi Kim, thanks for your reply! The retaining wall is needed because my wife also doesn't want to cut down any trees or uproot any garden plants in order to grade out the sloped landscape.. the garden is very old and formal and I'm trying to squeeze a big old rectangle in there haha. I have attached a revised drawing with the fountains on the side and a cable rail where the retaining wall is. I just didn't know if anyone had experience with retaining walls and pools as well as railings over them etc.

Attachments

• image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 21
So where is the playset? Show us more of the yard please.

Sure!! Will attach a picture of the back garden from our deck. The pool will end right where the fountain on the far right goes. You can see a view of the garden beds (soon to be pool) in my initial post. Thanks for the input! The pool is very close to our property line.

Attachments

• 49325AEB-BD1C-45FC-8848-DEBE7F56BCC9.jpeg
    49325AEB-BD1C-45FC-8848-DEBE7F56BCC9.jpeg
    795.5 KB · Views: 36
  • FC15BD75-C8F7-45C6-9CF9-3CEB3DD58EA1.jpeg
    FC15BD75-C8F7-45C6-9CF9-3CEB3DD58EA1.jpeg
    961.7 KB · Views: 35

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a pretty yard!!! Bet you hate the leaf fall time! Well you are going to hate it even more when you get a pool! Are you going to do a cover?

I get your wife's point about not being able to see the kid's playset when you are in the pool. That is a valid concern. I would go with child safety aka being able to see what they are up to LOL I would work with that in mind and go from there.

How old are the kids? Do you have plans about child/pool safety?

Kim:kim:

Check out the quasi-electric version that opens/shuts using a rechargeable hand drill. You can run the tracks on top of your deck- they don't stand out and are quite unobtrusive. That might cut the cost a lot!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.