Resurfacing - troubleshooting advice

Snoopyishungry

Apr 5, 2020
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi,
I'm writing on this forum in the hopes that this community can help me with advice on issues we've encountered during the resurfacing of our pool recently. Our pool was starting to show its age (built in 1995) so we decided to resurface it with pebbleTec Fina Grigio. We selected a company that's pebbleTec licensed and seemed to have a good reputation. Unfortunately, the work had to be postponed for a few weeks due to two weeks of fairly heavy rain.

As soon as the rain stopped the company came out and put in the new plaster. While they were doing that it became apparent that the walls were really wet from the rain and they used towels to try to stop the moisture from seeping into the pool while they were working on it. They even left a bucket, the towels and a makeshift straw hanging out of the wall once it was done and they started filling the pool with water. When I asked about it, they just said "relax" and explained that the towels were there to block the moisture. The next day when the pool had been filled we noticed a big crack in the plaster where one of the towels had been placed.

I've attached pictures here to show the crack (it's an opening in the wall/plaster). Another part of the plaster under the pool light has a noticeable texture to it and is rough, again where there was a wet spot. There are also long streaks of permanent watermarks running down the pool's surface from the moisture in the walls. Our pool start up guy called it "excessive mottling" and tried to treat it with acid. A few of the lines disappeared but most stayed. The owner of the pool plaster company came out the following day and said they'll "take care of it" after the start up is done and the plaster cures. They are scheduled to come out this week.

I've never had a pool resurfaced before so I'm not sure what to expect. But I'm really unhappy with how my pool looks and am worried that they will just try to patch the crack but leave everything else the same. That's why I decided to post here and ask for advice on what would be a reasonable way of addressing this situation. Would a complete redo be reasonable? I feel like I've spent a lot of money and I want my pool to look good especially because this is supposed to last a long time. If they propose to just patch the crack, can they make it look like new (like there's no patch) or will it be an eye sore? Is there a way to get rid of the watermarks without redoing the entire pool?

I'm hoping your collective wisdom and advice can help me better understand my options. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_101942~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_101942~2.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200405_101946~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_101946~2.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200405_102022~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102022~2.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 53
  • MVIMG_20200405_102112~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20200405_102112~2.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200405_102151~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102151~2.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200405_102216~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102216~2.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200405_102242~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102242~2.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200405_102216.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102216.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200405_102206.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102206.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200405_102151.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102151.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
First off-get EVERY thing in writing from now on!! If you do not have the "we will take care of it" in writing get it! NO phone calls or face to face unless you take notes of what is said AND get the person you are talking to to sign in agreement that was what was said!

To me it looks like the plaster is already coming off :( That is not good. I am going to call in our plaster guy @onBalance so he can give his input.

I don't like the look of that crack in the wall (looks like delamination). But get everything in writing (e-mail is fine but not telephone) and give the guy a chance to fix it.

You're not the first person on this forum to have issues with PebbleTec installations. Do a search and see how they fared with mottling and streaks.

If it was just the mottling I would tell you to learn to live with it.

That crack takes the problem to a different level. That crack also raises questions about possible delamination in other areas.

Doesmt look promising in your pics. They were hot to get working and make some money and should have never started this job. When walls are wet and leeching you do not want to be installing pebbletec. It's hard enough to get a good job with some colors under perfect conditions but the crack and round blob are defects all day long

Perhaps some of the whitish discoloration can be removed by polishing, but performing an acid treatment is not the proper remedy.
As to the large crack and/or delamination spot, I doubt it can be repaired without being unsightly. A new plaster finish shouldn't have a visible patch. Push for a re-do.

Thanks everyone for your input! I've already paid 90% of the fee. Given that, do you have any strategies for pushing for a re-do or what kind of leverage I have? I'm worried that they will fight me every step of the way and I'm not sure what my remedies are - some kind of dispute resolution mechanism in the industry? Is there a way to re-do this without having to do the demo and replaster all over so that they are only redoing the surface layer maybe? Just wondering if there's a compromise position that still get me a good looking pool.

Do NOT accept anything other than a full chip out and replaster. If you do you may have major problems down the road.

Put what you want in writing and send it to him by certified mail. That will show him you mean business. Has the OWNER of the company seen it yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do NOT accept anything other than a full chip out and replaster. If you do you may have major problems down the road.

Put what you want in writing and send it to him by certified mail. That will show him you mean business. Has the OWNER of the company seen it yet?
Yes, he came out the day after it was installed and the crack appeared. He just said he'll take care of it and then asked for a 90% payment. It was right around the time we got the shelter in place notice so he said something about how tough that is on business and everyone. He said we'll have to wait for it to cure and for pool start up and then they'll come back. That was supposed to be tomorrow but because of rain they just cancelled the appointment

Ouch. If they are certified installers maybe reaching out to the company can help things along. An independent person needs to make an analysis. In their eyes your just harry the homeowner who doeant know anything
which company do you mean? The company that provided their certification? or the company itself? I reached out to pebbletec but they didn't want to do or say anything. The plaster company knows about it but I guess I'm going to have to get a lot more assertive than I have been. It sounds like there's not a good way to fix this without a redo/replaster. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.