Restorinng Sandstone + General Upkeep of paving

Dcrimp

Jan 30, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
Hello all

I'm looking to take on a bit of a project to restore / rejuvenate the sandstone edging and concrete paving around my pool, and hoping for advice form people have may have carried out similar projects. The current issues I'd like to rectify are:

1. discoloration of sandstone
2. damage to sandstone (water weathering)
3. discolouration to paving
4. poor sanding between paving, leading to weeds around pool.

from research on this forum, I believe the following process may suffice.

1. Use a strong mix of regular pool chlorine in a spray bottle to kill the mould / organic matter in the sandstone and surrounding paving. I assume that chlorine is the best chemical to use as you want to avoid herbicide run off into the pool? Any other recommendations on this? Will the chlorine damage or discolour the sandstone or concrete pavers?

2. Allow chlorine to work for 2 to 3 days.

3. Pressure clean and scrub sandstone and paving

4. Floc and vacuum the pool to pick up all of the run off and dead organic matter

5. Seal the sandstone pavers, using a specific pool and sandstone sealer.

6. Re-sand the concrete pavers, with a hard setting sand

7. Seal the concrete pavers with a product suitable for around pools, but not a pool specific product. Note I am considering a wet look paver sealer to rejuvenate.

I'm hoping someone with experience can comment on this process, and let me know if there is anything I should change, or any tips and tricks.

Additionally, for general upkeep of paving around pools, specifically control of weeds in the paving, or surrounding garden beds, what do you all generally use to avoid herbicide run off into the pool, or is this something I don't need to worry about?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
I use Wet & Forget | No Scrub Household Cleaning Products on mold, mildew, and algae on the coping and pavers around my pool. It is amazing stuff that changes the PH of the surface so mold, mildew and algae can’t survive. Clears black mold and green mildew in a day or two.

In the joint between the coping and the pavers you should have the sand scraped out and pool expansion joint caulking applied. See Expansion Joint Caulking Around Inground Swimming Pools

For weeds in between my pavers the weeds are spot treated with Roundup.

Thanks soe the rely, I'll be sure to add caulking to my project.

Wet and forget is now sold in Australia and there is a pool specific product so I'll look into that.

Any concerns of round up around the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

Ps, I've just noticed the price, while I'm not opposed if it will fully clean up my sandstone, will cloriene work also?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.