Replaster/remodeling of gunite pool starting today. I have a DE filter. I am doing the brushing and start-up myself.

liveonboca

Feb 12, 2022
Houston, TX
Is there a good resource out there giving detailed instructions on how to do the start up after the plaster is done for pools with a DE filter? I have the DE. I have two new skimmers. I have the Grid style DE filters in a Hayward 4820. White plaster with 6 x 6 inch tiles going in and a level inpool spa (no heater). Thank you!

Nothing special to do during your startup because you have a DE filter. Follow your startup guide and add DE to the filter through the skimmer once the pump is running.

Couple of items attended to during my replaster that contractors did not really care about:

1. After chip out and acid wash check the pool light housings (did not require replacement during remodel) and make sure housing is completely cleaned out of debris and muck.
2. Cleanout of the main drain assemblies at the bottom of the pool and spa was miserable. Take the time to chip out additional old plaster in the main drain bowls and shop vacuum out additional debris out of the main lines.

I took this photo after the application of the bond coating. Good luck with your replaster and keep us posted.

Bond_Coating.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: liveonboca
Couple of items attended to during my replaster that contractors did not really care about:

1. After chip out and acid wash check the pool light housings (did not require replacement during remodel) and make sure housing is completely cleaned out of debris and muck.
2. Cleanout of the main drain assemblies at the bottom of the pool and spa was miserable. Take the time to chip out additional old plaster in the main drain bowls and shop vacuum out additional debris out of the main lines.

I took this photo after the application of the bond coating. Good luck with your replaster and keep us posted.

View attachment 392991
This is good information. Thanks.

Ok, baby steps.
From the plaster instructions:

These rules apply for any start-up technique.

• Fill the pool. The pool should be filled as quickly as possible, without stopping. Use multiple hoses if possible. Do not allow water from the hose to spray directly onto the fresh plaster. If you allow the pool to only be partially filled a ring could develop around the pool at the fill level and will be difficult to impossible to remove without an acid bath.
  • When the pool is full, add a startup dose of sequestrant (WHAT IS THIS? BRAND and how much? Iron and other metals can be very hard to detect and if you were to develop any stains on a newly plastered pool they are very difficult to remove. The use of sequestrant is cheap insurance for startup.
  • No swimming until the water is properly balanced. After the pool is fully filled with water run a set of tests using your own FAS-DPD FAS/DPD (can I get this today at Leslie's?)kit to make sure the water is sanitary and isn’t acidic. Once your water is balanced you can enjoy your pool.
  • Brush the entire pool at least twice a day for the first week and at least once a day for the rest of the first month. Make sure to brush the entire plaster surface. Brush from the top of the walls down and from the shallow to the deep end to knock off any loose plaster dust. I have a brush, hopefully it is decent!
For the remaining rules, you need to know which start-up method your builder is using: acid, traditional, or bicarbonate. The procedures for each are different. Your builder might use a variation of these procedures so be sure to follow their instructions if they differ from these.

Traditional Start-up

Your builder will normally take care of the first five steps and then turn it over to you.

• Check all equipment and make sure it’s functional.
  • Circulate the water, add sequestrant WHAT IS THIS?. Run pump 24 hours a day for first week.
  • Watch the filter pressure (Where is this filter? Is it my DE filter with a dial on top with numbers? and clean the filter (how do I clean the DE filter? Just remove top of Hayward 4320 and spray? or remove and spray down? as soon as it rises 20% to 25% over the starting pressure and right after vacuuming. Do I make note of the pressure when I first turn it on? Then look for a 20-25 point rise? or it goes 1/4 more than it started? When do I add more DE to the skimmers? As sooon as I turn it back on after cleaning/rinsing? The plaster dust might clog the filter quickly so keep an eye on it and clean the filter as needed.
  • After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming. I have never vacuumed pool. I have the blue hoses and a roller vacuum from previous owners so not sure it works, I need a head with brushes instead of wheels I guess - can I get this from walmart or Leslies? What is the setting on my pump to vacuum?
  • After 72 hours add the Cyanuric Acid, CYA, stablizer, conditioner CYA and then the chlorine SLOWLY to gradually bring it to the desired level. What are the brands and is this at Leslies and how much?
  • Continue to brush, vacuum, test water balance, and clean the filter for one to two weeks, or 3 days after you see no plaster dust coming off when you brush. AGain - clean DE filter is different from another filter somewhere?

Acid Start-up - Do I do this if I am only using basic WHITE plaster no diamond brite or color additives?​

This start-up procedure should only be used for exposed aggregate and pebble finishes only. Your builder usually handles this delicate and difficult procedure. This procedure does run the risk of damaging the plaster and should be avoided if possible. For more information please review this thread on the forum.

• Leave the pump off at first.
  • After the pool has been filled, add 3 gallons of muriatic acid (31.5%) per 10,000 gallons and then brush the entire pool. The acid will help dissolve the plaster dust.
  • Brush twice daily but don’t vacuum or add chlorine until plaster dust is gone. For dark plaster only brush lighter colored or white areas.
  • When all plaster dust is gone, neutralize the acid with sodium bicarbonate and a small amount of soda ash by using a base demand test, wait 24 hours and repeat if needed.
  • When the PH rises to 7.2, check all equipment and turn on the circulation system. Clean the filter when the pressure increases 20% to 25% over the starting pressure. Add sanitizer in small amounts at first until the desired level is obtained.
Thank you!

1. Add a startup dose of sequestrant (WHAT IS THIS? BRAND and how much).
Generally something like Jack's Magic additives (Magenta or Blue), retailer consultant list available at JacksMagic.com. Sold locally in Houston at Texsun pools, etc.

2. Testing Kits
Always recommend kits from TFTestkits.net, however you can get a Taylor 2006C from PinchaPenny, etc. Leslie's has been low stock on some of these testing kits.
Test Kits Compared

3. Where is this filter? Is it my DE filter with a dial on top with numbers?
DE filter will be installed on the equipment pad and pressure reading is generally on top of the filter housing displayed in PSI. Each time the unit is flushed you will recharge the DE grids with DE powder according to the size and model of the unit. The Hayward 4820 will require 6 pounds of DE to recharge, or 96 ounces.

4. Brush Heads
You can get the vacuum brush head at many of the local box stores. You will attach with hose to the skimmer connection and gently vaccum on the days assigned by the startup procedure. Do not run any wheeled devices for at least 28 days.

5. CYA
Granular CYA may be purchased from any local box store, sold as "Conditioner". Follow TFP procedures for adding to your pool. I do not recommend liquid conditioners as they do not necessarily make the startup procedure any easier, and the cost is a multiple of the granular CYA products.

6. Is my pool brush adequate?
Purchase a nice pool brush. Its not the time to skimp on cost given your investment in plaster finish, or have an old deteriorating brush leaving debris on the new pool surface. Brush as much as you possibly can, minimum of twice per day for the startup period (recommendations will vary). I brushed constantly after startup.

Last edited:
1. Add a startup dose of sequestrant (WHAT IS THIS? BRAND and how much).
Generally something like Jack's Magic additives (Magenta or Blue), retailer consultant list available at JacksMagic.com. Sold locally in Houston at Texsun pools, etc.

2. Testing Kits
Always recommend kits from TFTestkits.net, however you can get a Taylor 2006C from PinchaPenny, etc. Leslie's has been low stock on some of these testing kits.
Test Kits Compared

3. Where is this filter? Is it my DE filter with a dial on top with numbers?
DE filter will be installed on the equipment pad and pressure reading is generally on top of the filter housing displayed in PSI. Each time the unit is flushed you will recharge the DE grids with DE powder according to the size and model of the unit. The Hayward 4820 will require 6 pounds of DE to recharge, or 96 ounces.

4. Brush Heads
You can get the vacuum brush head at many of the local box stores. You will attach with hose to the skimmer connection and gently vaccum on the days assigned by the startup procedure. Do not run any wheeled devices for at least 28 days.

5. CYA
Granular CYA may be purchased from any local box store, sold as "Conditioner". Follow TFP procedures for adding to your pool.

6. Is my pool brush adequate?
Purchase a nice pool brush. Its not the time to skimp on cost given your investment in plaster finish, or have an old deteriorating brush leaving debris on the new pool surface. Brush as much as you possibly can, minimum of twice per day for the startup period (recommendations will vary). I brushed constantly after startup.
Thank you so much. I feel better about this and seems doable.

Reactions: stinsontx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How’s it going so far?
Hi. It is done, I am waiting for the water to fill the pool. Pool is super deep like 8-9 feet. But slowly but surely, it is coming along. I think it looks great! Tomorrow chemicals and checking for balance. Thank you for asking!

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    483.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1949 (1).JPG
    IMG_1949 (1).JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: stinsontx
Looks great! Look forward to hearing about the startup. Brush like crazy once it’s started!

My water colors were all over the map for the first couple weeks. Was pretty interesting to see how many different shades of blue green and blue played out from day to day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.