Replacing Polaris Booster Pump plumbing questions

Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi-

Thanks to everyone in this forum for the help. I got help awhile back boring out PVC from a union at the pump last year and it was much appreciated.

I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the pool cleaner forum.

I have a leak at the top fitting (outflow) on the my polaris booster pump. A trickle when the main pump is on but a full on spray if the booster pump is on. The motor is also loud so I bought a new pump but am unsure how to tackle the plumbing. I'd like to use the quick connect flexible lines if possible unless that is a bad idea -- it just seems more serviceable.

The top part I think I can plumb without issues but I'm not sure how to handle the inflow side. Is that gray connector likely glued into the the white PVC? Is that PVC piece that connects to the gray piece threaded into the PVC union? It has edged sides. If so is that typically glued? It'd be great if I could avoid cutting into the vertical part. If it is glued would you bore again or just cut into the vertical line?

Thanks again-

Jason

Attachments

• boosterpump1.JPG
    boosterpump1.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 10
  • boosterpump3.JPG
    boosterpump3.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 10
I would cut through the gray fitting and see if it unscrews from the supply line. It shouldn't be glued, but who knows how it was originally installed. If it is glued in, I would cut as close to the edge of the white fitting as I could, and go from there.

This is maybe a stupid question but if I cut the gray fitting and it unscrews -- and my goal was just to connect the new pump the same way (and not use flexible hoses) -- how would I screw a pump into the fixed fitting without rotating the pump around a couple of times. Unless the threads go the opposite way on the fitting and the pump housing so you could just rotate the gray pipe to screw in both at once, but that seems too helpful to be likely.

My concern with just cutting and seeing what stuff is is that I'm obviously going to be down once I cut and I'm trying to get some level of confidence I can complete the job or determine if I should just call someone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.