Replacing my Filter - DE or Cartridge

ryespy

Sep 25, 2019
Ambler, PA
Pool company is suggesting cartridge filter to replace my current DE one. It's old and needs new filter screens which they say is almost as much as getting an entirely new cartridge filter. The additional upside would be not handling DE as much. We've really had no issues with our DE one until this year and it's just in need of replacing (holes in screens). I'd love some insight as to why or why not to go with the pool company's suggestion?!

Everybody likes their own and all but i will never not have a cartridge filter. If its big enough you can go all year without cleaning it. Some are harder to take apart but my Sta-Rite 3 is very easy. All plastic and no metal bands to rust. DE filters take out a 5 microns more than my cartridge but it is beyond the human ability to tell that difference.

Rye,

When I had my pool built, I was very disappointed that I could not have a DE filter, due to city requirements.. Now, five years later, I would not ever go back to DE... I still have two rent houses with DE filters, but when they bite the dust, they will be replaced with large cartridge filters.. I like that cartridge filters do not have a multiport valve. It is just one more possible point of failure.

The key in my mind, is getting the biggest cartridge filter you can afford.. the bigger the better.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.