Replacing Hayward Super Pump with WhisperFlow VST

Welcome to TFP.

The Superflo VST is a drop in replacement for the Hayward Super pump. The Whisperflo VST will require some plumbing adjsutments.

The Whisperflo is a 2" pump and the SuperFlo is a 1.5" pump.

The Whisperflo moves more water.

If you have 1.5" plumbing then the Superflo VST will work fine for you.

Bill,

I am a big believer in the "Go Big or Go Home" pump theory... :mrgreen:

I would never recommend the SuperFlo VST to anyone.. The does not mean it won't work, it just means that I think bigger pumps work better.

They move more water at a lower RPMs, so the pump is quieter, and when you need more flow it is there for the taking...

No doubt, that if you do not get a "drop-in" replacement, there will have to be some re-plumbing involved. Using pump unions can make that job pretty easy.

You would need 240-Volts AC at the equipment pad if that is an issue???

I assume that you do not have any kind of automation system.. Is that correct??

What made you pick the WhisperFlo VST pump???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Have you looked at the Intelliflo3? It’s an updated pump design that gives you a lot more options for control of other equipment - usually salt systems and lights. Comes standard with wifi/Bluetooth app control.

The Whisperflo is an ancient pump design and the VST controls are a bit of a pain IMO.

Welcome to TFP.

The Superflo VST is a drop in replacement for the Hayward Super pump. The Whisperflo VST will require some plumbing adjsutments.

The Whisperflo is a 2" pump and the SuperFlo is a 1.5" pump.

The Whisperflo moves more water.

If you have 1.5" plumbing then the Superflo VST will work fine for you.

thanks for the guidance. I currently have 60 sq ft pentair filter with 2 inch plumbing. Why do you think I would need to redo some plumbing? Are you referring to inlet or outlet port plumbing?

Bill,

I am a big believer in the "Go Big or Go Home" pump theory... :mrgreen:

I would never recommend the SuperFlo VST to anyone.. The does not mean it won't work, it just means that I think bigger pumps work better.

They move more water at a lower RPMs, so the pump is quieter, and when you need more flow it is there for the taking...

No doubt, that if you do not get a "drop-in" replacement, there will have to be some re-plumbing involved. Using pump unions can make that job pretty easy.

You would need 240-Volts AC at the equipment pad if that is an issue???

I assume that you do not have any kind of automation system.. Is that correct??

What made you pick the WhisperFlo VST pump???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Agree with you on the Superflo. I have 25K Gallon Pool. Current pump is 2HP so I was thinking Intelliflo was too high on the THP and Superflow was too low. Intelliflow and was too expensive with a lot of features I would not use. Whisperflo seemed to be right performance and cost point for my use case. No current automation on the Haywood SuperPump. I will check on the 240V issue. Thanks for the guidance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what are top 2 reasons why you recc Intelliflo over whisperflow?
  1. Better controls
  2. Better controls
Since you don’t have automation and will rely on the pump control panel for programming and to get the benefit of the VS pump.

Confirm you have 240V at the pump.

Current pump is 2HP so I was thinking Intelliflo was too high on the THP
Bill,

None of that matters when you have a VS pump.. Basically, it is a variable Horse Power pump.. You just adjust the HP to fit your needs.

I have three IntelliFlo pumps on three pools. Two of the pumps are on old pools with 1.5" plumbing. They work great.. The pumps have been running 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, for well over 10 years. To do that costs me less that $20 bucks a month.

And... my pumps are old.. the newer VS pumps are much more energy efficient.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Attached is my configuration. I am getting conflicting advice locally regarding the plumbing required for Intelliflo3?
I have 2 inch plumbing on the Haywood Super Pump inlet and outlet valves (see attached). Locals are saying 3HP pump required 2 1/2 - 3 inch plumbing? what are your thoughts?

Also I show I the sub panel which I believe supports 240V?

Thanks,

BillIMG_2818.JPEGIMG_2818.JPEGIMG_2819.JPEGIMG_2846.JPEGIMG_2846.JPEG

The Intelliflo3 includes pump unions for 1.5", 2", & 2.5" PVC and works fine with 2” plumbing.

The IntelliFlo3 is a variable speed and variable HP pump. Your local folks don’t seem to understand that the 3HP VS pump can support a wide range of pools.

Current NEC requires GFCI circuit breakers for pumps. You should replace the breaker when you replace the pump.

The IntelliFlo will work just fine with 2" plumbing.. It can use larger plumbing, but it is not a requirement.

The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it slowly... So the plumbing size is not really important.

Look like you have plenty of room for the install.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Why do you need a check valve between the pump and the filter?

Also you have a Vacless suction vacuum release on the front of your pump. Will you transfer that to the IntelliFlo3 pump?

img_2819-jpeg.541017

Last edited:
I hate to throw a wrench in the works here, but I'm a bit troubled why 2-speed motors are never brought up as an option on this site. No driver, no electronics, been on the market for decades. These motors are a direct replacement for single speed ones.

Only change needed is to put a 2-speed relay in an automation system, or add a T106 timer to your electromechanical system. On the cheap you can replace a 2-speed motor's wiring cover with one which has a toggle switch on it for Hi/Off/Low.

You get 2 speeds... 3450 rpms, (same as single speed pump) and 1725 rpms at low speed.

Increasingly I'm seeing posts here about how people are running their VS pumps 24/7.
Can someone please tell me why. I honestly do not know.

Even on this site, it is emphatically stated by industry experts that "turnover" rates have been proven to be folklore.
Turnover rates were written in the books decades ago, and have stayed there since, despite have no empirical data to verify the reason, other than just as a loose rule of thumb.

Sorry for the rant, and certainly feel free to educate me on any finer points that I may have been unaware of.
I'm just kind of aggravated that pool system components have become increasingly complex and expensive over the past 20+ years, and they need not be.

Mayorb,

Most of us here that run 24/7 have saltwater pools... We like the idea of making a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time. I personally find that I like the look of my pool when there is a little motion in the water. :mrgreen:

No one here is saying this is a requirement.. It is just something we like to do..

It cost less than $20 bucks a month to do that... It also means that I never have to worry about freeze control since the pump never shuts off..

At 1200 RPM my filter pressure is about 1 or 2 lbs.

I currently have three pools and three IntelliFlo pumps. They have been running 24/7 for over 10 years and still work like they were brand new. My personal theory is that running 24/7 is less stressful on the pump, than shutting the pump off and turning it back on each day. I readily admit I have no hard proof that is true, just my personal experience..

Many new pools have spas, waterfalls, bubblers, heaters, solar, etc. etc... Each of those might require different pump speed to make them operate the way the pool owner wants.. This is pretty easy to do with a large VS pump.

Different strokes for different folks...

Just buy the pump that works for you.

EDIT.. I left out how quiet a VS pump is.. My pump is right next to my bedroom.. I can not hear it at all.. When it was brand new, I actually touched it a couple of times just to make sure it was still running... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
but I'm a bit troubled why 2-speed motors are never brought up as an option on this site.
I do not know of any 2 speed systems that meet the current DOE or California EPA pool pump motor requirements. There may be some, but very difficult to find. They must have on board timer and controls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.