Replacing diving board bolts (in concrete)

FrankM

Gold Supporter
May 12, 2010
New Jersey
I need to replace the bolts for my IG diving board base. The pool is 19 years old and the existing bolts have rusted and one broke last season. I contacted my local pool geniuses and they quoted me $500 to do the job. Has anyone done this project themselves? Would lIke to try to make the repairs myself and save some $$$.

Your local "pool geniuses" were right. Just the cost of the kit to anchor a dive board properly is about half that cost. Since it is nearly impossible to get liability insurance coverage for any board or slide repair or installation, its surprising they would even consider it.
Take a class on installing a board and you will understand the forces involved on the mounting hardware. What you see as bolts are likely just the threaded portion of a large mounting jig embedded in the pool deck.

Your local "pool geniuses" were right. Just the cost of the kit to anchor a dive board properly is about half that cost. Since it is nearly impossible to get liability insurance coverage for any board or slide repair or installation, its surprising they would even consider it.
Take a class on installing a board and you will understand the forces involved on the mounting hardware. What you see as bolts are likely just the threaded portion of a large mounting jig embedded in the pool deck.
I simply asked if anyone has made this repair before to get some tips on how to do it properly myself. I did not need a lecture from someone who clearly has been in the business for 3 decades. I’ve had this pool for 20 years, I know exactly what‘s under the concrete. “Take a class”, seriously? If anything, after reading all the threads about this and now you’re comments, I think I’ll just grind the bolts flush for now and enjoy this season. Maybe make the repairs (or not) in the offseason.

Take a class, watch a video, contact the manufacturer; in other words understand what you are dealing with. Dive boards, spring boards, jump boards (along with slides) are some of the most dangerous pieces of equipment around a pool. Contact your insurance provider and see how they feel. If suggesting getting more education is offensive, sorry you felt that to be an insult, none was intended. You may include me in your "pool genius" epithet, don'tknow. I'm not a genius, just know enough to not be dangerous and to try to help you be safe.

You've had your pool for 20 years, perhaps watched the build, no doubt remember every detail or have pictures. I've seen or dealt with a few thousand. In that time I have, unfortunately, seen the damage and injury some DIY installations have caused. Worst was a 10 year-old paraplegic boy because dad installed the board absolutely correct. Problem was the pool wasn't designed for a board.

Is the board 19 years old as well ? To make repairs correctly you are pouring a new base under the stand. It would SUCK to go through all that just to have the board snap in a year and possibly be discontinued.

I will highly suggest starting new and being good for the next 20 years. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.