Replacement pump - take floor cleaning system into account?

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Hi,

I have a Jandy 1.25 THP pump and Jandy CL340 cartridge filter. The pump is about 10 yrs old and starting to feel shakey - power is low and it's making questionable noises, like there's grit in the motor. I also despise the cartridge filter and would like to switch to a sand filter. I've been researching variable speed pumps for their energy saving benefits and overall better perceived quality. I have a couple questions for anyone that might know:

* Hayward and Pentair seem to be the highest recommended brands, any distinguishing between the two?
* I have an in-ground popup pool cleaning system. I assume they need high pressure to work adequately; if that's the case does it make sense to go with a VS pump?
* How should I adequately size a new pump considering a new sand filter system and pool size of 18k gallons? Does it make sense to oversize?
* Whatever I pick, how do folks typically install these, by buying from the place to install or buy online (substantially cheaper) and use a qualified contractor to install? My pool closer said he's installed over a thousand pumps/filters and gave me a great price but doesn't the warranty require the former?

Thanks for any tips!

Nice to meet you via TFP! :)

Your thread has been here a while so you get, low-pay-grade pump advice from me, but if I say anything wrong or misleading, an A-grade expert will fix it up. It really depends on budget, but Hayward, Pentair and Jandy all equally good. Check out their automation systems for which one you like the best and go with that, even if not buying the automation now. That's my two cents.

Go wth a Buick like the Pentair 3 HP, 011055 I think. Or Hayward's Ford. Both good and Jandy is good but likely over-priced. Buy the good stuff and watch out for the cheap lines in any brand. This is domestic equipment that runs a lot and at certain times of year, it's pretty critical to a smooth life!

If your in-floor is on its own timer and it keeps time reliably, you can set the times and custom RPMs every which way right on the pump, easily matching it to the in-floor.

I like big filters, bigger than you think you need. Sand filters are great, but don't skimp on space.

Yep, VS is also high efficiency motors, fair to say you can find high-efficiency in single and two speed as well, so if you're tight, a motor swap is the cheapest option. But if you have the money, go the VS. Way more fun!

Warranty is like religion. I think stuff goes quick or not at all, so I don't care. Other side just as legit would say an extra year is peace of mind. If you know which end of a tape measure is the dumb end you can plumb a pool pad. Changing just the pump and filter is that much easier. It might take a half-day and three trips to Home Depot or irrigation supply, or pool supply. Full day with coldies :)

Thanks very much for the reply! As our season in Buffalo NY is almost over I will start searching for a deal on a solid pump and oversized sand filter over the winter. Hopefully by the time we're ready to open in 2018 I'll have all required parts ready to roll and will have the time to do a solid install - I'm sure I'll be using this board as the inevitable issues will arise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.