Replacement IC-40 flow, temp sensor with aftermarket

When you measured both sensors, were the sensors at the same temperature?

The circuit just measures the resistance of the sensor and converts the resistance into temperature based on the chart/formula.

The circuit just measures the resistance of the sensor and converts the resistance into temperature based on the chart/formula.
Thats what has me guessing that its just not the thermistor, but the combination of thermistor and resistance across the plates to figure out the salinity level. But the mod works and all is good.

It’s probably not a simple resistance measurement with the IC electronics as self-heating issues can arise. It’s likely part of a voltage comparator circuit where an op amp is driven to output when the load is unbalanced. The output voltage then becomes proportional to temperature of the thermistor. Because op amp inputs have very high input impedance, there’s minimal current draw which would reduce self heating. A Wheatstone bridge could also be used but it has to be designed to reduce current flow as much as possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Flying Tivo
That is well above my pay grade Matt, but thanks.

I once worked in a low temperature physics lab...any random excess microjoule of energy could potentially throw off an experiment. Carefully designed measurements were a must. I suspect the folks at Pentair are far less concerned with self-heating of thermistors but I often wondered if the way they are utilizing the thermistor in their circuitry isn’t actually the cause of the failure itself 🤔 If the thermistor is the weak link and you don’t take care to design the measurement circuitry properly, then you’ll fry it or prematurely age it into failure.

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.