Replaced shaft seal, still leaking.

bluegirl

Aug 13, 2013
Ontario Canada
Hi all,
I have a Sta-rite Dyna-Glas series MPRA that had a pretty good leak. I replaced the shaft seal, diffuser seal and the seal plate o-ring with parts listed in my manual. Was perfect for a couple of days, but now has a very slight leak (about 1/2c) per 24 hour run time. Suggestions?
TIA
PS for those struggling with removing the impeller, I McGyvered a couple of pipe clamps together & put them around the outside of the impeller with a cloth under them to avoid ruining the impeller. My hands aren't big enough to get a good grip. The clamp screws give something to press against. Hope this helps someone else, as I wasted tons to time, not to mention the frustration.

I did not use any lubricant as there seems to be so many different views. Today I disassembled and used dish soap as my transient lubrication for both parts of the seal. But on reconnecting the power supply I broke the motor switch!! So I have it gluing with marine epoxy overnight. Will this be sturdy enough or should it quickly go on a mission to find the new part?

Installed the Viton yesterday. No leaks overnight. Took my pump to a pump specialty shop. He said there was no reason why the lesser quality seal shouldn't work. He also said to install with no lubricants at all. Another thing he did tell me was that sometimes where the seal meets the impeller gets worn and that is where the seal fails. Maybe this will help someone else. Thanks for everyone's input. Great info as usual.

He said there was no reason why the lesser quality seal shouldn't work. He also said to install with no lubricants at all.
A lower quality seal will work just like cheap brake pads will work, until they fail.

Just because something “works” doesn’t mean that it’s a good choice. Certain products in life are worth spending more for better quality. In my opinion, cheap seals are not the place to try to save money.

Lubrication helps the seal set correctly without damaging the rubber. In my opinion, lubrication is a best practice. However, it’s important to use lubrication that is specifically made for installing seals.

In my opinion, the person you talked to was probably incompetent.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.